• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Remote Start

How hard is it to install these? I have installed a security system with keyless entry before in a a different vehicle and that wasnt too bad. It just took quite a bit of time and patience. I see there are some cheap systems on hsolist for only $40. Does anybody have any experience on these units? Or is it best to stick to the popular brands?

I would probably pass! I think the better ones are mostly plug and play with the appropriate inline harness connectors that are vehicle specific. IMO this is much better than stripping back insulation, twisting the new wire around the bare wire a couple of times, and covering with black tape. Or the popular scotch lock.

I had a buddy that tried installing a nicer 2 way. Thought he could get around buying the vehicle specific harness and ended up melting a circuit in the fuse block. See image below.

pic1.jpg

I always loved that. Vehicle comes in with electrical problem, look under dash and see nothing but a mess of wires stuffed everywhere with 200 scotch locks. Good times good times.

I have installed many many crimestopper models. They are not difficult to install. Time wise, yes, look at 4 to 5 hours for a beginner. Wires on there consist mainly of

Positive 12V

Switched 12V (may be up to 2 of them)

Ground

Starter

Brake Pedal wire

Tach Wire

2 wires for door locks

Antennae wire up the A Arm

wire to lights of vehicle (parking lights usually)

This is all strip the wire, wrap wire around, solder, and electrical tape up.

The current one i just did on my 04 F150 is an alarm/remote start combo. There are Tons more wires to run!

Also a bit trickier if you have a PATS system on your vehicle (as i do.) Then there is a box wiht a spare key in it that is coded to your vehicle that needs to be wired in.

Most require some relays.

Here is a wiring diagram of a common model:

http://crimestopper.com/techweb/InstructionBooks/RemoteStart/rs700_3_ins.pdf

I have always said to customers in the past, "a remote start is to a car, like open heart surgery is to us humans".

Pretty much is!

If something is not done correct, things will not go right in a hurry.

A lot of people have this idea remote start is a plug and play type thing. That is far beyond from the truth.