• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Shifter

I hope there is a simple solution for this but here goes...

When i shift my boat from neutral to forward, everything is great. When I shift from forward to neutral, it stays in forward. It doesnt hit neutral until i pull the shifter back in to the reverse mode.

any ideas?

What type of control? Tiller, or Control Box?

It might be as straight forward as a linkage adjustment, or as complicated as a lower unit problem.

Have you taken the hood off and verified that the shift linkage is functioning as intended under the hood, and to where it runs down to the lower unit?

marine_man

Follow the throttle / shift cable into the motor and take a look - one cable will split off and run to linkages connecting to the carb. The other cable will run to the shift linkage - take a look and see if things are functioning as you would expect them (if you put it in forward it moves. When you move the control box back to neutral does it move under the hood? If so, you're problem is buried deeper, likely in the lower unit.

marine_man

I had a similar issue with the shift linkage on my '81 Evinrude. It ended up being that one of the 2 bolts holding it to the motor had come off and the other one was loose enough to not allow it to shift. I added a new bolt and used blue loctite on them so they hopefully stay put this time. Everything shifts again as normal.