• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

One or two coats for the final coat?

Currently building my first rod and have been told it's recommended to do two coats for the final finish....but it can be done with only one. Not sure what the final finish exactly is but I would assume over the thread and everything.

Thoughts?

I hope do be doing the first coat Thursday night, but not sure I can get a second done before the weekend. If I can't get it done I may just have to go back.....but man it would be nice to have for opener.

Don't rush it.

See if they can squeeze you in earlier. It doesn't take long to do.

If you put it on thick you can get away with one coat. But if your'e building at Thorne Bros. I would guess they will have you do two coats. I don't remember seeing anyone up there do one coat.

The final coat is a finish that protects the threads and seals everything up. 1 coat works but you will get a better result with to coats. If you put it on thick enough to cover in one coat, it tends to get a bit wavey and in some cases your guide wrap will look like little foot balls instead of being nice and flat. If you are in a hurry to fish it you could go with 1 coat, but just be aware that it may not turn out quit as well.

Another thought is it takes up to 3 days for the epoxy to totally cure for use and if you do it Thursday night it may not cure real well, so be careful of the epoxy or you could leave a dent in it.

Good to know guys...thanks! I am not going to rush it so if need be I will finish it some time next week. After spending lots of cash no reason to take short cuts.

Well, I only had one afternoon to work on it and the handle is ready to be turned down and sanded. I just did a standard cork handle, but they helped me do a hidden seat (I think thats what it is called). I will be up there again Thursday and have a good 5-6 hours to work on it.

You will like the hidden reel seat. Just take your time and enjoy building it.

It will be awesome when you catch your first fish.

Going to Mille lacs to break it in!!!! grin.gif