• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Fluctuating RPM's in 98 GMC K-1500

Not sure if it is related, I recently changed my 02 sensors, ran sea foam in the oil for a while and reset the computer by disconnecting the battery for a couple hours. Its been three weeks since I did this and have no check engine codes and have taken it on a 8 hour road trip with no issues.

Anywho, now when I am going 40- 50 mph my rpms fluctuate by a 2-300 rpm. I was told to try tapping the break on the highway to see if the rpms go up to check my torque converter and they did

Tranny going south? has 2 hundo on it.

I can't feel the Tranny slipping, I am holding the gas steady and on level pavement. I can't detect the engine revving but it only goes up a little bit and than back down a few seconds later it will do it again.

Is it the tach needle you are basing this on?

When holding the gas peddle down steady, do you hear a fluctuation in the eng., noise wise?

I am just trying to rule out an elec. issues with the readings the tach is getting (or the tach its self), or a drive train issue.

I didn't mention it because I didn't think it is related but my alternator went out about two weeks ago I replaced it and the battery since it was pretty old as well.

Well, good thing is we ruled out a major trans issue pretty much, could still be a T-converter issue though.

I would have a battery test done A.S.A.P...

Most shops will do it for free.

Good luck!

It has had a slow leak in the past, last fall I put a can of 134a in that included stop leak but it sure might not have sealed it up. Thanks for the tip I'll check that out.