• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

4-stroke oil changes

trollenslow

I always change the engine oil and filter with Johnson marine oil every fall along with the other winterizing needs, last fall I did not because I did not put 20 hours on the motor last summer. I am not trying to be cheap and I know it's an expensive motor with higher rpm's than vehicles but is it really necessary with that low of use? What do you think, it's been bugging me?

I'd say you'll be ok this year, unless you end up putting a ton of hours on it.

It's not like lower unit oil, where you're changing it to prevent any water from freezing inside the gearcase, causing other problems.

You did change your lower unit oil last winter, right?

marine_man

Yup, changed the lower lube, filled tank with premium and added storage dose of stabil, ran engine for twenty min. pulled the batteries and stored in cool bsmt, even gave them a mid winter charge. Checked the spark plugs, looked good. lubed trailer bearings and blocked up trailer. I think that was it. sound about right?

Never gave synthetics much thought in my boat, might have to think about that.

I do run Mobil 1 fully synthetics in my vehicles, never will go back to conventional oils.

I am not a mechanic, (carpenter by trade) so I have to seek out advice on this stuff. Maybe, I over think it, but I have always tried to give the best care I know how to motors especially outboards. I can only afford to buy them once.

Thanks guys.

The AMSOIL recommendation is Not to exceed once a year. Condensation will cause additive breakdown. And more problems. You can't see or feel breakdown of these types.

Be safe! Change it at least once a year! It's just not that expensive to save a very expensive outboard motor! Cheap Insurance!

4-stroke outboards should use only NMMA FC-W certified oils. Yes, the marine rated is different from automotive oils.

AMSOIL has 2 NMMA FC-W oils: 10W-30, prod code WCT recommended for most outboards, and 10W-40 prod. code WCF which is the preferred for most larger with in/out or inboards.