• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

rod id question

i am new to this forum. have a question. someone on another forum suggested using all those extra mailing labels on your rods as a form of id. my question is what kind of tape would be best to keep them attached to the rod.

it was brought up some time back. all those return labels you get in the mail. they suggested you take one of them and stick it to your rod and then put clear plastic tape on it. i was looking for input as to what would be the most reliable/long lasting tape for this purpose.

I would try clear packing tape. That is the most durable clear tape I can think of. I would make sure you clean the area you are putting on with something like rubbing alcohol before you try to stick it on there.

i had posted this earlier as a tip i got from Bass Masters mag. using the return address labels you get with you checks, and placing one of them on your rod and covering it with a clear tape incase you loose it, or something.(hoping it would get returned) i did one using clear nail polish over it as a sealer. worked ok, other than one end turned up a little.tape could work, or?? other ideas? del

Well, I build almost all of my rod's and I get labels printed up by Decal Connection. I send them a MS Word file and they send me the decals (water slide). I apply them to my rod and add rod finish - looks just like factory. It would be pretty easy to have a bunch of address lables made and then add them to the rods you own. It would look great too.

You can get epoxy from either of the site sponsors that offer rod building supplies, Midwest Rod and Reel or Thorne Bros. There are other web sites out there that you can purchase it from too.

One other thing that comes to mine is a product call Permagloss it is more like a varnish and although it does not build up as high as thread epoxy, it will not be as much of a pain to use. You are going to find that typical 2 part thread epoxy a little difficult to work with if you are not prepared for it. This stuff takes about 3 hours of turning to setup and not sag on you and that is by design. So if you don't have a device to slowly turn the rod while it sets up, you have to turn it by hand for a couple hours.