• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

motor "rattle"??????

sparkyaber

ok, I have a suzuki df 175 on my reata. I purchaced it last fall and I notice a shake when I put it into reverse while in the water. I took it to the dealer and they said nothing was wrong. I put the "earmuffs" on the motor tonight and heard a distinct rattle coming from what I thought was the lower unit, only in reverse. I took off all of the plastic cowlings and found that the noise was coming what seemed to be the vertical drive shaft half way up the lower unit. Still only in reverse. While I was looking at the lower unit, I noticed the paint removed from all of the bolts that mount the lower unit to the motor. The rattle is only intermittened, not all of the time. It sounds as if the shaft is rattling in the casing. I am thinking maybe that the previous owner hit something, had the lower unit replaced, and something got missed with the drive shaft. The motor only has 29 hours on it. What could make that noise? Is it or could it be a major repair? The motor still is under warrenty, but will the dealer cover any repairs? The dealer that I took the boat to was also the original selling dealer, and the boat was there when I bought it. This is really got me nervous, and I have a bad feeling about it. Anyone with any experience with damage to a lower unit/drive system chime in please.

Thank you.

That's a tough thing to trouble shoot via the internet.

I'd take it to another dealer and get a second opinion.

If it's only got 29 hours on it and is still under warranty your repairs should be covered.

marine_man

I found out today that the previous owner had the lower unit replaced after hitting something under the water. Sounds as if the dealer will fixing it under warranty. Now I don't have a boat for wisc. opener this weekend. Bummer, I could have been out on lake michigan later this year and have the lower unit go out on me.

Glad to hear you figured it out... it is too bad you'll miss opener, but there are worse situations you could have been in, that, or you could have had it go out on you well after warranty, which would have been a expensive fix.

marine_man

Just talked to the dealer, and I have big issues... the said it sounds like it may be a power head issue. Great. Now it sits at the dealer until at least may 13th when the suzuki rep gets to check it out, Second Minnesota opener in a row with out a boat. Sweet.

new update if anyone is interested: Suzuki reps strait off the plane from Japan, looked it over, said it was a neutral safety switch, and maybe one bearing. Still without a boat, but at least it is not a big repair, also they will be mounting a 9.9 hp suzuki kicker while it is at the dealer.