• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

deisel performance modules

Holy hog [PoorWordUsage], some of you guys seem to know whats what on the mods seen! So, my days of sticken head out window listening to pipes rap, makin black lines on tar are "just about" in the history books. If I drive like I'm gonna run out of fuel(or go broke refilling), is a chip going to pay for itself plus more at these fuel prices? Just need to get to the lake cheaper, not any quiker. Or am I better off looking at air intake mods?

I don't think there is any silver bullet other than to just drive like there is an egg under the throttle. Buying a performance module won't pay off in the long run if the intent is to offset fuel costs, but they are a lot of fun. grin.gif It's just too tempting to let'r rip now and again when it's installed. I suppose if you drove a lot of highway miles you may see some payback eventually if drove sensibly. I did some "mods" whistle.gif to my exhaust and it seemed to help as well. Brought the exhaust temps down a fair bit too.

I know on the ford 7.3 they help alot for fuel economy! I know on the 6.0 ford not so much. I have heard the duramax with the chip does increase economy by 1-3mpg hwy. With todays prices that will pay for itself fairly quick! You could buy a super chip for a couple hundred. If you are getting 16 mpg, then add the chip you would get 12% better milage. Say a 25 gallon tank at 16 mpg will get you 400 miles, with the chip it will get you 450 miles per tank. For a savings of $12.5 per tank, thats not huge but if you drive alot it adds up quick!

If you drive highways a lot the cost of a chip will make up for saved fuel quickly.

Edge and Quadzilla make special chips for mileage gains only, they give a mild power increase and few mpg extra without costing a fortune.

Air modification will not improve much on a diesel, it will make sound better (turbo whine) and give better air flow to lower exhaust temps but there's not much into savings, I would stick with electronics first.

One fact I noted is to clean your engine control sensors, like IAT (Intake Air Temp) sensor or MAP (Manifold Air pressure) sensor, they will increase mileage considerable and they are relatively inexpensive to replace. I changed the IAT sensor on my Dodge, cost $ 30 and I gained 3mpg, it paid itself at first tank fill, my current Dodge gained 1mpg from a new one.

On high mileage engines new injectors will offer better spray pattern and save fuel, but the cost is prohibitive.

Overall there's not a definite method to effectively save a lot of fuel, it's many small factors that compile a successful result.

Remember cost of upgrades cannot overcome the savings, check your yearly mileage and do a calculation how much would you save if you gained 2mpg, then decide if it's worth it.