• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Basic requirements for safety on board

Off the top of my head: Life jackets for each person (out and not stored), one throwable (also out), a fire extinguisher, wistle or air horn. I think there might be something else I'm missing, but that's what I remember off my head. Look up boating under the DNR and they will have it all there.

I think Sandmannd got them all for the requirements. Call up the DNR information number and they will send you a copy of the MN DNR Boating Safety Guide. While you are at it, they have some great literature on the river systems, Metro River Guide and Mississippi River Guide. All of the requirements are listed in there for each specific size group of boats. I really recommend reading the entire booklet, its not very long, but a ton of useful information.

Well, an 18' boat is at the size where a paddle or oar is not much help, especially if there is any wind or current (I would agree with you on a 12' or 14'). What I prefer is to have multiple methods of propulsion, like main engine and a trolling motor, main and kicker, etc.

Originally Posted By: Sandmannd
First aid kit if you fish with me is a must. Every time out is an adventure. crazy.gif

I'll have to keep that in mind if we get a chance to share a boat one of these days grin.gif

Originally Posted By: northernsportman
tell me if im wrong, but dont you also need a fire extinguiser for any boats over 16'?

Yep, that was in my first reply. I would recomend puting one in any boat with electronics and gas motors. You just never know and they are cheap.