• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Jet Contrails From SE IA

Took this last week in Southeastern IA, I don't know alot about jet contrails, but I thought is was interesting that so many of these were crossong from different directions in the same part of the sky. They may need a traffic signal up there.

2439492704_c0f9aae905_o.jpg

That just happens to be the crossroads for all the O'Hare traffic from the west coast and all the northbound traffic into Minneapolis. You were in the Ft. Dodge, Waterloo, Mason City area?

Cool shot as well, nicely done.

I figured it must have been a Midwestern crossroads when I saw all those contrails. I know that, given the right atmospheric conditions, contrails will hang in the air a LONG time before dissipating.

Dan, how 'bout a little perspective on that? I swear I've seen contrails hold together for better than an hour sometimes after the jet is gone.

Contrails are formed by condensation of water vapor in the exhaust of jet engines into ice crystals. If the atmosphere is dry at altitude you get no contrails, you must have a fair amount of water vapor in the atmosphere to get them.

Wator vapor present and wind at altitude determine how long they remain visible. Not much wind and fairly stable atmosphere and they can hang around for some time. Also a telling indicator of what the weather will be, contrails mean water vapor for telling possible unstable weather in the future.

Or something like that. cool.gif