• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Roomate beating my dog?

TheAsian

I have a one year old black lab named Thor. He has never had a problem going to the bathroom outside. However, since i moved in with my roommate i have had many incidents that he has urinated in the house but only when he is around him. Anyone have any input on what they think.

Sounds like submissive urination. It could be a case where your roomie has intimidated, not necessarily abused your dog at some point and is now a little timid around him.

The best thing to do is to not create a scene and any contact or attention needs to be gradual. Don't "love up" the dog when you walk into the room. Let them become confortable with you/your roommates presence.

He needs to understand there is no threat and eventually, the urinating will go away.

If your roomie is intentionally doing something to your dog, then the roommate needs to go away. He can be harder to train than your dog.

ya my dog used to do the same thing. she would sit down pee, and then wag her tail and flick it all over every time we went to the vet. i'd say its the submissive urination thing. seems like thats what the vet said, also said it was fairly normal

Never an excuse to kick a dog. Sit down and talk to your roomie. If he isn't willing to work with Thor then he needs to go and find another roomie. If he will work with you, then let him give Thor treats, take him for walks whatever so he gets comfortable with your roomie. It will take time.

Ya he actually peed on him germanhorthairs. And for everyone else i got my roomate to sit down and work with him all week it took until yesterday to finally get him to come around. My roomate gave him some hamburger and Thor just loved that. Now I think he sees what a dog is all about. I hope i don't have any more problems in the future Thanks for the Input!

My old Black lab walked up to a guy out of the blue and soaked his leg. It was one thing to see the first attempt fail and the dog was chased away. But he came right back at a different angle and let him have it.

The 2 knew each other so it was like walking up to your best friend and whipping it out.

To this day I swear that dog was half human.