• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Wiring for bow locator

I got a deal ($49) on a new Eagle FishEasy 2T and want to mount it on the bow of my 2002 Alumacraft 165 CS. It has a universal sonar inside the Minn Kota 55PD/AP/US.

It looks like there are wires already there (near the floor, right side) for the power connection.

Other than using a fused connection, is there anything I need to be aware of? Should I use the in-line fuse that came with the locator, or one of the panel fuses in the console, assuming that is where those wires are from.

I know this locator isn't the best, but it will do for now. I've been fishing without the windshield attached and spinning my console mounted unit around to view it from the bow.

For my bow mount connection I installed a cigarette lighter in the front of the boat. By using this connection I don't have to keep removing the connection in the back of the unit and risk damage to the pins when I remove it from my boat. The rest of the wiring is simply fed to the battery source and fused at the battery.

Can you trace the wires that are already there and see where they go, such as direct to the starting battery (then make sure there's an in-line fuse) or to the panel fuses?

As long as you have a fuse and are powered off the starting battery, not your trolling motor batteries, you should be fine.

Yep, I agree with Perchjerker - figure out where the wires come from - it's also possible they come from the fuse panel, but the fuse panel doesn't have a fuse in it's spot yet - look for any spots that have ACC on them, or something along those lines and put fuses in there before you check for power.

Good luck!

marine_man

I had an alumacraft 165CS. Yes those two wires you see at the lower right of your floor just behind your bow are there to attach a depth finder. They are fused in the fusebox that is on the side of your console. I used them to attach my graph. You can tell which fuse slot it is because you can see the wires attached to the connecter adjacent to the fuse slot.