• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Sensor cleaning Copperhill method

I got some very good advice and encouragement from here a couple weeks ago, and thought I would ty to post a before and after shot of cleaning. Not sure if it will show on these pics, but on the before shot look at all the dark spots. I ordeered a few swabs and cleaner in a kit for under $20 and it did go well I think for my first try.

Thanks again for all the help I get on this site.

DMN

Before Copperhill method

beforecopperhill.jpg

after Copperhill method

aftercoppehill.jpg

Thanks

DMN

Thanks Stf, that is why it took so long to post, I was recovering from the CPR paddles they had to use on me to wake me back up!!! Seriously, it wasn't as bad as I thought. Glad to here your wedding buisiness is really taking off.

DMN

Originally Posted By: DMN
Glad to here your wedding buisiness is really taking off.

DMN

Me too. Even though the economy is in the crapper, people still are getting married and still want images to remember the day by. That upsurge has led me to shuffle around my lens lineup, too, but that's a good problem to have, isn't it?

I'm hoping to get out for some BIF next week after one of the new lenses hits my doorstep. Tons of ducks and geese moving around, and I don't have many BIF images of waterfowl.

I have three spots on my sensor that need to be cleaned but I am scared to do it....lol How much damage could I really cause if I screwed it up? I guess I missed the previous post it was discussed in.

Jay, it's not that hard. You get directions when you buy the kit and it's simple. Biggest danger is pressing down too hard with the swab when you wipe the sensor, but that's not much of a risk. If you can control the pressure on a pen when you write, you can control the pressure with the swab easily enough.

Originally Posted By: stfcatfish
That upsurge has led me to shuffle around my lens lineup, too, but that's a good problem to have, isn't it?

STF That is a nice problem, I have been reading about your shuffle and would have been interested in your 100-400, but I bought one in December.

I have been tossing around getting a 1.4 converter, whitch one do you like the best?

Thanks

DMN

The Canon 1.4 TC offers better IQ than the other brands. However, the 100-400 will suffer with a TC. I'm not talking about autofocus, which you'll lose on an f5.6 lens and a TC unless you're shooting a "1" series body, but about IQ degradation. The prime lenses are all sharper, as is the 70-200 series, and can easily take a 1.4 without hurting IQ.

The 100-400 is a little softer. I've shot it with the TC, but have only been satisfied with the results in very good light. So with losing autofocus and some IQ, the situations in which you can use the combo efffectively become pretty limited.

Well, there ARE those situations in which the TC is OK on the 100-400, so I wouldn't try to talk you out of getting it.

You'll need a lot of light because at 400mm and with the TC, your native aperture will be f8, and that lens performs best sharpness wise stopped down one or sometimes two stops, so that brings you to at least f11 and possibly f16 to squeeze the very best sharpness from the combo. So of course it's generally at least an iso400 even in good light, and sometimes more like iso640 or 800. And at those iso levels with that lens/TC combo, if you have to crop too much after the fact the image will feel softer yet.

But every once in awhile I really needed the TC on that lens and the light was right and everything worked out, so if you can put that tool in your toolbox it's a good one to have. Not one you'll use every day, but when you want it, it's good to find it there. Plus, costs just continue to go up for equipment, so it's good to buy it now and then you'll have it in case you eventually pick up one of the Canon telephoto prime (fixed focal length) lenses, which are sharper than zooms and can take a 1.4 TC with ease.

stf,

You aren't talking me out of th teleconverter, you are just supporting my reservations of it on a lens slower that about f-4.

If I had a prime in 300 or 400 I would get it right away.

I do most of my shooting spur of the moment so far, and I hate to not have the zoom in case I am too close when a subject presents itself. If I start setting up more often I think I would love to get a prime. In my case that would be SURE to get an eagle to come in and land on a chickadee pirch at 15 feet!!!

Thanks

DMN

JR777,

I didn't actually know how dirty it was,"newbie you know", I think I will shoot some plain blue sky or something from time to time now as it seems to really show up. It was not all that hard to clean it.

Thanks

DMN