• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Recarpeting

Cobb73

I was just wondering how difficult it is to recarpet an aluminum boat. Is it something that the average person can tackle himself or is it better to bring it in to some place that does that sort of thing.

Another question is I am looking to upgrade my electronics. I would like to get a color screen but I don't want to spend 1000 to get it. Do you have any suggestions. Thanks.

Re-carpeting a boat isn't all that hard, it just takes some time. Unscrew the flooring, platforms etc, remove from boat, remove old carpet and replace with new.

Get good glue, make sure the carpet is pulled tight and glued well, and it will look great. Just pay attention to what you're doing, carpet running the same way, stapling the back side if possible, etc. If you take your time, you'll do just fine. Bringing the boat in will "probably" cost a lot compared to doing it yourself.

I think it's something the "average Joe" can do himself. I have re-carpeted a few boats and it takes on average a weekend to complete if replacing wood too, just carpet is a quite a bit quicker.

Good luck...You can do it.

hey Cobb, the Lowrance x67c is color and you can pick one up for $200 or so. Just an idea. Oh yeah the x68 is a GPS model as well, but you can't use your lakemaster or navionics chips in it, just pre-loaded data on that model, but it is color.

I have done this and can pass on a few tips I got from others that worked well - use a notched trowel from a tile store (a few bucks) to get the glue spread evenly and consistently. Use an old rolling pin once you've laid the carpet in the glue to smooth the carpet, and finally, use a sharp, sharp utility knife to do your final trims. Change your blade multiple times during the job if you have to - the sharp blade gives you a way better finished product.

And like CatMan says, take your time and pay attention to the details.

Use outdoor adhesive, and the RIGHT notched trowel; too much glue can soak thru as well. Try to work your way off the carpet so you don't have to kneel/twist on it when the glue is fresh. Boat carpet is usually pretty flexible, but warmer temps help. With outdoor adhesive, it can handle moisture 24 hrs after installation (the can might say right away, but make sure it has a day for safety sake). There was a boat carpet thread on here a while back; marine vinyl was suggested as a substitute for carpet. Something to think about.