• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

yarcraft vs alumacraft

packman

hello everyone,

my friend has a huge problem, this is the kind of problem i would like to have. he is purchasing a new boat this year and he is having a problem deciding which way to go. he is looking at a yar-craft 1785 tiller with a 75 horse motor, or a alumacraft 185 pro tiller with a 90 horse. now since i fish with him 85% of the time its like i am getting a new boat. we fish mainly the river and some bigger water like millacs and rainy. we are looking for pros and cons for both. the yarcraft is smaller and about 3 to 4 thousand dollers more then the alumacraft. we are wondering wich one you would take since the alumacraft is a bigger boat and motor but we think that the yarcraft will handle the bigger water better. now the cost is without splashgards and with out electronics so that is more. any help in deciding would be helpfull. we have not road in either one of the boats and they are both 08's. please help.

I think either of those boats will "handle" the water just fine. The glass boat will probably be smoother riding and drier riding than the aluminum boat, but in terms of safety and fishing comfort they are probably a toss-up (or personal preference). And with those two motors on those two boats the performance will probably be almost identical.

I am a fan of glass boats, but if it was my money at stake I would probably have a tough time spending more money for a smaller boat unless I was really sold on the Yarcraft or having glass.

he loves the options with the alumacraft but he really thinks we will get beat up in the big waters with the alumacraft even though its bigger then the yarcraft. now looking at the specs it shows that the alumacract 185 tiller is heaver then the yarcraft 175 tiller, i guess im confused why that would be. can anyone answer this question or am i looling at the specs wrong.

The alumacraft will have alot of marine grade plywood in it. Floor, deck at etc.... That stuff really brings the weight up. My two cents would be to save the cash. There is no question that you will have nicer and somewhat dryer ride in the glass boat. I have fished out of 20ft glass tillers and you still get wet becuase it is a tiller. I really think that alumacraft makes nice boat and if I were going back to aluminum that would be the brand I would chose no doubt. Besides the cash the I think the factors are better ride vs. more storage and fishing space. I have not compared the two boats but I bet the alumacraft is also a wider boat as well. This is a really tough decision but like you said it is a good one to have to make.

There are lots of guys that are fishing the river, mille lacs, rainy and other big waters in Aumacrafts and other aluminum boats. You're not going to get into a situation where you would go out with that Yarcraft but not with that Alumacraft.

Most days there probably won't be a significant difference between the two boats, of if there is maybe the edge would go to the Alumacraft since it is a bigger boat. And on the windiest and roughest days you'll probably get plenty wet it either boat.

Overall the glass boat will be smoother and drier, but it's smaller. If he really wants glass then go with the Yarcraft, it's a great boat. The Alumacraft is a great boat too, and as I said in my first post I'd have a tough time spending more money on a smaller boat if those 2 were my choices.

On the other hand, after having aluminum boats for year I decided I was ready to go with fiberglass.

I would go with the Yar Craft. If you fish in rough water and the places you mentioned can get rough you will appreciate being in a glass boat. You will by far be drier in the Yar Craft as compared to the Alumacraft. Don't get me wrong, Alumacrafts are very nice but a glass boat is going to be drier and smoother.

I made the switch from aluminum to glass several years ago. I was sick of going to the lake and not enjoying it because I was wet and or getting beat up. As someone else indicated, you will be able to take both rigs out in most conditions but I think you will have a more enjoyable experience in the glass boat.

I'm going to make a change (hopefully soon) on going to a glass boat. Either a YarCraft 1895 or Warrior 1890 or 2090 (used).

I like my 185 AlumaCraft Compeditor with 75 Merc tiller. But after being in glass a few times on Mille Lacs , it's time to change. I do almost 90% of my fishing there.

There is a difference, but you need to know that you will still get "wet" whatever you buy. grin.gif

I had a 1785 YarCraft and currently run an 1800 Pro-V. I also fish mainly Mille Lacs. No doubt about it you get a much dryer and smoother ride from the YarCraft. I know it is only rated for a 75 H.P., but I felt that it was a little underpowered and a little to narrow. My 1800 is not even a foot longer, but just seems like I have soo much more room and the same with the 185. And the 90 H.P. does push it along nicely, but next time I think I will be looking at one of the bigger glass tillers.