• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Opinions wanted-new crossbow

Okay guys here is the deal....I'm helping a friend out with a new crossbow. She was in a bad car accident when she was young and had to have her shoulders re-attached so she shoots a xbow. Currently shooting an old basic horton with the string cocking method. She's upgrading to $1000 or less. I shoot a Bowtech compound, but I heard Bowtech is having problems with their xbows. So can't give her advice there.

I've done research on the Horton and 10 point, any opinions on those or should she be looking at something else? It must have a crank cocking method. Also looking for something that is quiet. I know you can put string dampeners on them, but with some bows that doesn't even help.

So any advice anyone can give, what to look at, what to stay away from, opinions on models, good xbow shops in town to go to, etc. It all would be helpful. Thanx much

I too was in a car accident at a very young age and have been hunting with a crossbow for the last ten years or so. So far I've only used tenpoint crossbows. When I first started they were about the only ones that had the crank assist on it for loading it. So my options were very limited. I've been very happy with Tenpoint. They are a little loud, but I've put dampeners on the string and that does help some. From what I have seen the bolts come out of the crossbow so fast that the noise doesn't matter that much unless your taking longer shots. By the time the deer or whatever your hunting hears it its to late. They're a little spendy but well worth it in my opinion.

I help with a handicapped hunt every year for archers. Many different type bows are used. I have never heard anyone complain about their Tenpoint bow. From what I have seen and heard from these hunters over the past 6-8 years is this, Tenpoint bows are good crossbows and hard to beat if one can afford them.