• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Old Town Pack canoe

Does anyone have any experience with the Old Town Pack?

I've been looking at this solo canoe quite awhile and I'm still not sure it's right for me.

I want something thats easy to portage, tracks fairly straight, stable, and can be fished out of. Used for small lakes and hopefully small rivers if I can paddle upstream.

If you want to paddle upstream a kayak would be best

I you want to portager alot though you probably should get the canoe.

If you get a canoe that has a seat in the middle you could use a kayak paddle and go upstream pretty good

I have an OLD TOWN OTTER that I fish out of and it works great,

have it set up with a locator and rod holder and lights for night fishing and have been 1-2 miles out in ML with it, and on the Crow and Rum rivers many times I also duck hunt in it and it works awesome, its light weight only 39 pounds. but if you do any BWCA trip then go one size up for more gear room .

purchased a pack last year, I have had it on the Rum and small lakes by Itasca State Park. the light weight is great for carry in sites. as far a tracking it is not the best because of all the rocker, definitely not a performance machine. It is like all canoes, fishing is possible but it is a struggle due to the wind. the best features are being able to access hard to reach locations. One heads up to be aware of is that it will not ride on a pickup topper canoe rack like a 17 Grumman will. there is so much rocker that the ends will rest on the roof and topper. All that being said I enjoy it, drifting, fishing, not what you want if you are in a rush. I have not used a kayak so I can not compare the two. stable is relative, it is not an 18 footer, but that is why your interested. I am very satisfied with the quality and the way it handles a wake

I have fished out of a kayak for years and enjoyed it. The last year or so I have been looking at some solo canoes. For a while I wanted the Pack because of its lightness and good reviews. Mostly for more room to stretch, relax, and enjoy the day more.

It is a cool little canoe but I found one that is very similar but is a better deal. The field and stream Kay-noe. Just a little heavier but has a kayak seat with back. Made by Old Town.(I think formed in the Pack mold) Same size and parts/construction look alike. This is Polylink which is similar to Royalex. Just started getting out in it but so far so good. Seems stable and I had fun.