• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

New boat, old motor?

Let me set the stage. I'm not a wealthy guy. I've never bought a new boat, or a newer used boat. I have to make a decision on what I'm doing this spring, or next year and could use some advise.

I have a 79 Starcraft with a 70 HP Johnson. The motor (now) is solid. Last year I completely rebuilt the powerhead, lower unit, and gas train. So, in essecence, I have a new motor. (unless I'm missing something). The boat itself has a good hull, and that's about where it ends. All the decking is rotting/rotten, wiring is questionable at best, and the fishability is poor.

I'm going to do something, I just don't know what.

I can completely gut the boat and re-wire, re-deck, re-do everything and make the boat a brand new 79 Starcraft. I'm capable of doing this and I know I'll have a few grand stuck into this project. Another option is to buy a new or new used boat, minus the motor and use my existing motor since (please correct me if you think I'm wrong) it's pretty much brand new. I realize either way I'm going to drop some cash, and I'm good with that. I've really had it with always having to fiddle with something while on the water to get things working right. I just want to be on the water and fish, not have to mess around with and worry about things.

Has anyone bought a new boat without the motor and used a motor you already had? If so, besides age of the motor and not the newer technology, what if any problems have you run into???

I haven't done it, but a know a couple of years ago when I was looking I saw a two year old dealer boat that hadn't' touched the water for 5 grand without a motor. Was an 05 alumacraft 165 and really nice. I'm sure if you look around you can find deals like that. I myself would rather do that than stick time and money in an old boat. Plus then you can get out fishing right away.

The only thing that comes to mind for me is your 87 Johnson's electrical harness on the motor will be different than those on a newer (mid 90's and older possibally - you probably have a big red connector under the hood, the new ones have two different connectors) boat, so at a minimum you'll need to also buy an adapter kit, which isn't the end of the world, but something to consider.

I think it'll work, and if you have confidence in the motor see no reason not do go with a different boat.

Oh, and I'm glad to hear you got your motor back together!

marine_man