• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Glass vs. Aluminum

baitcaster

I completely agree, you're right, most welded hulls are .25" at the lightest, and a lot more ribs. That is what I meant by cost, thinner,lighter material cost, not process cost. I just wonder what production costs would be compared to glass,provided they could build enough, I think weight would be comparable, and thus ride quality would be greatly improved. It could really change the way we view boats in this part of the world.

There's no doubt glass boats are taking some of the aluminum market share. For years Lund has boasted how riveted aluminum boats are the best, yet they've started producing glass boats to get a piece of the pie.

Like I said before, glass is smoother, however I won't ever believe that it's a magical solution to getting beat up in 3 ft rollers.

I think one of the reasons that we are starting to see so many glass boats up here now is that with the price of aluminum being what it is, there isn't that much of a price difference anymore when you compare apples to apples.

Originally Posted By: mnfishinguy
I think one of the reasons that we are starting to see so many glass boats up here now is that with the price of aluminum being what it is, there isn't that much of a price difference anymore when you compare apples to apples.

bingo.

Originally Posted By: mnfishinguy

I see this everyday. If things dont change, its going to be hard for the tin boats to stick around