• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Warn 3.0 RT winch working intermittently,

SomethingFishy*

I have a Warn 3.0 RT winch (pre-wired Polaris kit) that I purchased in January. I have yet to use the winch yet. I pulled off the steel cable on saturday and replaced it with my synthetic rope, when I went to reel it the out button on the rocker stopped working. However the in button stopped working intermittently earlier. At the moment it will winch in but will not allow you to winch out (without the free spool). I have checked the free spool several times and it appears to be locking back into place as I can still winch in.

So you think this would be a rocker switch isssue? Contactor issue? Winch issue? or does anybody have any other ideas?

Thanks for your help.

If it runs one way or the other it is not the winch motor. The issue is more than likely a switch or contactor issue. Using a test light, (at the contactor) you should be able to determine if the switch is sending current to the contactor in each position (in or out). If it is working in both positions, the switch is working properly. That indicates the contactor is bad. If testing the switch shows no power at the contactor then the switch is the problem.

Originally Posted By: Roofer

Maybe it's the pre-wiring from Polaris to the battery. grin.gifblush.gif

It wouldn't suprise me ;\)

I turned the power on (didn't start it) and the winch did nothing. Started the the wheeler and she started working on both in and out. Turn the motor off and leave the key on it is still working confused.gif

I will tear into it a little more tonight or tomorrow after work make sure everything is tight and secure.

When I did the install it seemed more difficult than my last one almost if the pre-wiring was a little shorter with the new contactor. I will post back once I think the problem is solved.

Originally Posted By: SomethingFishy

I turned the power on (didn't start it) and the winch did nothing. Started the the wheeler and she started working on both in and out. Turn the motor off and leave the key on it is still working confused.gif

Just for the fun of it I would check the voltage when off, and while running. It could be when its not running the voltage is low enough to not energize the contactor.

I installed the same winch on my machine and it works great. Free spools out and reels in and out just fine.

I would start with the wire/connections and then what Mcgyver said.

Sorry I could'nt be more helpful but it worked the first time so i did not have to read the instructions. grin.gifgrin.gif

Good luck

Dan