• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

strengthing come

fisher

good morning I'm looking for a way to strength the come command. My dog is good with it but I'm going to start E collier soon and thats the one I would like to get him better at before I start. any one have any tricks they use to make that one better. when were at the dog park when I see anther dog I have him sit at heel. then I move on command come and he comes but then brakes from me to go see the dog I command come and start walking he looks and keeps playing. Then I have to command come and move on then he comes. I would like to have him come and 100 yards on the first with out the E collier is the pasible?

Just some were clear he is a 9 month out black lab.

thanks

Jeff

on something like that you need a check cord. a rope that is around ten feet long or longer. put it on you dog when you are walking it and when it breaks let the slack out and when it hits the end of the line give it a hard yank and tell it to come. you need to get that enforced before you us the e-collar.

another thing to try is when your in you yard use your check cord and let you dog go in front of you fairly far and then all of a sudden say come and start walking backwards and still saying come with the rope in your hands. this will get your dogs attention and will come back to you. when your dog reches your side make it heal and sit and then praise the heck out of it. as you do this more it will understand what come is and that it gets rewarded when it listens and if it doesn't then you need to tug on the rope until your dog starts comming back to you. you will still have to walk backwards when you tug on the rope. and when you say come when you are doing this training say it in a happy voice like you excited. and not in a hard tone. your dog can tell the difference. good luck on your training.

9 months is difficult age in dog training. They are going through their adolesent stage and will try to disobey you both consciously and sub-consciously to see how much they can get away with.

First off, I wouldn't 'train' n a dog park. Too many distractions and the almost guarantee of refusal of commands.

I'd go back to the 'yard work' phase of training and work in a controlled environment. Use a 50' check cord and pinch collar. Sit and stay the dog and walk to the end of the check cord. Command 'come' and tug on the cord to apply pressure to the collar and continue to command come and apply pressure on each command. This is also the beginning stage of e-collar conditioning. You will eventually mix in the use of the e-collar on this command as opposed to the check cord and pinch collar.

After he begins to show that he is 100% grasping the command, begin walking him at heel and provide distractions (in the yard) kids, a bumper what have you. If he breaks, immediatley command come and use the check cord and pinch collar to correct him. He should be to the point where he listens immediatley on the first command.

Lots of praise when he comes to you is also important. You want to be the positive thing that he is heading to. Never raise your voice in frustration during 'come' exercises. You must remain stoic and unemotional until he comes to your side and then flourish him with praise.

If you continue to go to the dog park during this training phase, expct non-compliance to your commands and leave it at that. If you aren't bellering out commands for him to disregard, he isn't disobeying you. Liken it to a kid at a park with lots of play structures. It probably won't be his shining moment in listening to his parents.

Lots more foundation work is needed and now is the time to fully solidify it. Be consistant in your training and don't set him up to fail until you are sure that he has masterd the command and all will be fine.

Good Luck!

Ken

Check cord as stated above. Easy answer is voltage but may come back to haunt you if you plan to go further with your training. At some point, you may decide to force to pile where you in essence, put the voltage behind the dog. By using it for come/here command, you have put voltage in front of dog. Force to pile is fairly advanced and I tried to put the above in layman's terms. Just trying to keep you from a potential future problem if you go further with training. Good luck.

Thanks labs thats what I'm working on now. also the dog park thing if you find a dog park that is not busy or go when you get up. There is nothing wrong with them when I'm there I mite see 1or2 dogs.

At what point is he good? I've read that you have to expect some misses at this point. We are done with force fetch he's vary good with that. Also I don't need a rope for the back yard I say some and he's right there I was just thing about the times were at the dog park. in the back yard we are fine, in the foot ball field we are fine.

maybe I'm just trying to get to much. I think I will work for 3 days to refine basic obedience then move on to the e collier.

thanks for the help

J krop

thanks for the help any way.

I went out for 20 and trained 9 months is hard but he was good. I like the walking then turning then come then sit at heal.

Do you all train to sit in front and sit a heal? or just alway sit at heal?

Originally Posted By: fisher
Thanks labs thats what I'm working on now. also the dog park thing if you find a dog park that is not busy or go when you get up. There is nothing wrong with them when I'm there I mite see 1or2 dogs.

At what point is he good? I've read that you have to expect some misses at this point.

Your first post said that your dog doesn't always obey if it sees other dogs (if I read that correctly), so if your at a dog park with 1-2 other dogs aren't you adding a distraction. Thats basically what ken was getting at with regards to the dog park.

You need to have him on a check cord at all times until he is responding correctly with distractions present. Don't give a command that you cannot enforce. Once you e-collar condition to the "come" command you can move away from the check cord as you can then correct a disobeyed command with the e-collar.

He is good when he responds how you would like, to your standards. For me, my dog must obey all commands. Training never ends!

Oh...and don't move on if you don't have the basics down. And don't rush through your training just to get to other things. Make sure what your working on is solid before moving on to the next.