• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

This Old House (and barn, and shed, etc) Pics Added

Was out wandering the country side around the Buffalo and Wild Rice rivers today and found this old farm site. I thought it would make a good subject.

Canon Xti, 17-80 IS USM, Handheld in AV mode.

CC welcome.

Thisoldhouse.jpg

ThisOldGrainery.jpg

Shed.jpg

Paul here is my C&C I hope it helps you. As an artist that has photos of well over 500 old barns and buildings that I have painted over the years let me give you some ideas of what I look for.

These types of shots beg for early morning or evening light. The high noon sun (evident from the shadows) adds little character to the buildings. A golden low light adds real warmth to the scene and actually makes the buildings stand out against its surroundings.

Good light for shooting buildings is a lot like portrait lighting, you are looking for separation from the background. This time of the year with brown grass, leafless trees, and weathered boards nothing pops out at you to catch your eye.

Shot #1 has the most potential to me but not from the shaded side of the building. Get the part of the house in sunlight and my eye will stop and look the building over. The shaded side of building blends in with the trees in the background. Take a walk to the left and you pick up more of an angled view, more 3D and include the sunlight.

Shot #2 is the shady side of the building again. I know what you are thinking, but I had an old car and other junk on the other side (I can see it through the door). How about a walk to the left again to bring some dimension to the building, give it that 3D look again. Might eliminate the clutter through the door as well. Right now my eye grabs onto nothing in the photo, I start on the left and continue to the right and off the photo. Everything is the same shade, building, background, foreground.

Shot #3 I like the sunny side of the building against a bit of snow, gives me some separation against the main subject. But I have no idea about the building, I can only see the end wall, what is supporting it? I see a wall that appears to be leaning against a tree.

How about getting up close and seeing some texture in those boards, play the sun against the harsh shadows. A portion of dark window, break down the buildings and give us some interesting elements. With buildings I like to think of up close and character studies or far a way and expansive.

Back to my artist background. I have many shots just like these in my files, because I just needed the building, I could add my own atmospheric conditions. I can make it sunrise or sunset, sunny or snowing. The photographer can do some of that in PP but take advantage of the "golden hour" or dreary drizzle rain, monochromatic conditions when capturing the character of old buildings.

You asked for C&C and I hope I have given you some things to ponder. Don't take this as a negative at all, its great you are out with your camera looking for interesting things to photograph. You have all the technical skills to successfully execute these photographs. Try and look beyond the basics and start thinking what would make these shots absolutely grab my attention and keep me coming back for more!

Thanks Paul for sharing and for looking for ways to improve your shots by asking for constructive advice, I hope that is what I gave to you.

These are great shots. I can totally understand the draw of an old place like this. When I was in college, I was constantly pulled to an old homestead located out side of town. There was even an old broken down piano in the main room. Got a few shots still in my library from that scene.

I enjoyed your shots.

Nice shots Paul, I love old buldings. I like the 3rd the best. there may also be a photo opp behind the 2nd, I notice an old pickup sleeping back there.

DMN

Had to edit this, can't count today the pickup is behind the second shot

DMN

Nice shots Paul, I love old buldings. I like the 3rd the best. there may also be a photo opp behind the 2nd, I notice an old pickup sleeping back there.

DMN

DBL, Thanks for the Tips. I was a little stuck as far as time of day went. I was at work. I was also stuck as to were I could walk due to flooded areas, but it does give some things to think about. I some others still to go through and maybe do some PP on. THere was no PP on these other than raw conversion and framing. these are straight out of the memory card. I will play around with some others and see what I get.

Thats what I am talking about! I love that first shot! The second definitely keeps my eye in the photo it makes me focus on the building. I want to look in the building and see if there is something there. Very nice!

Much better! Love the first shot too! You know what? Have you ever tried HDR (High Dynamic Range)? I'd do it when the sun's going down..when the lighting conditions is just right. 3 different exposures and then combine them together in photoshop. Can do wonders in HDR.

I've tried it a number of times..have gotten mixed results..some good, some bad. But I can imagine what it would look like on old buildings/abandoned trucks. I'll have to try it! Thanks for giving me an idea!

Have you tried HDR, Dan?

MD yes I have used HDR. For the most part I'm just not a fan of it, it has its place but I think it is at present just plain over-used. I have seen some great results from it and some not so great results. When I look at a shot and immediately say HDR it looses some of its appeal to me.

Thats just me, there are a lot of folks that use it and love it. Really that is all that matters, just like Paul's shots here if you are happy with the results then who the heck cares what anyone else thinks!

I do use a combination of combining two exposures of the same shot that and use layer masks to allow parts to paint through to handle high dynamic range photos. That has been discussed here in the past and it requires no special software, just the ability to work in layers and masks.

I totally agree with you. Sometimes HDR just looks great, and some don't. That'd throw me off at times. Getting frustrated with it too. Like you said..."just the ability to work in layers and masks" And alot of time into it too! \:\)