• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

No Trapping in Lynx Zone

From Dan Browning, Star Tribune:

Trapping and snaring in the range of the Canada lynx is a violation of the Endangered Species Act, a federal judge said in a ruling published today.

U.S. District Judge Michael J. Davis ordered the Minnesota Department of Natural Resources (DNR) to "promptly take all action necessary to [ensure] no further taking of threatened Canada Lynx."

Davis said the DNR must apply for a special permit regulating incidental takings of Canada lynx by the end of April. He said the department must also develop a proposal to "restrict, modify or eliminate" incidental Canada lynx takings in Minnesota.

"The court will hold an evidentiary hearing, if necessary, to determine the appropriateness of said proposal," Davis said.

The ruling was in response to a lawsuit filed in September 2006 by the Animal Protection Institute and Center for Biological Diversity. According to the plaintiffs, trappers have injured or killed at least 13 Canada lynx from 2002 to 2005. No such takings were reported for the winter of 2006, but it's unknown whether any were taken this past winter, Davis said.

"Given the fact that 13 takings have been reported since 2002, and that the DNR has not taken substantial steps to further protect lynx from takings, the court finds it likely that additional takings may occur unless further regulations are implemented," he wrote in a 20-page order.

Davis granted the plaintiff's motion for summary judgment in the case, concluding that the DNR "has violated and remains in violation Section 9 of the Endangered Species Act by authorizing trapping and snaring within the range of Canada Lynx in Minnesota."

Where will trapping and snaring be eliminated?

I can't believe this [PoorWordUsage]. Totally symptomatic of what's wrong with this country.

Hidden agendas, judges ruling without expertise or asking for it, people too far removed from the land and it's resources.

I hope somebody in state government has the cajones to stand up to this trampling on my rights. I want some action.

Craig

I can't educate you. I'm not a teacher. But here's some opinion, I believe backed up by fact, certainly backed up by personal experience.

1. Lynx is only an occasional visitor to Minnesota. Certainly in certain years there are resident animals. They rarely reproduce. Given that the biological advantage of a Lynx over a Bobcat is a Lynx is better in deep snow, the Bobcat out competes a Lynx in Minnesota. Global warming? Probably more than ever. Lynx isn't a viable animal in Minnesota, in the long run.

2. The people that propose protection for Lynx in Minnesota are very aware of #1. They have a hidden agenda. They don't like trapping animals for sport of profit. They generally live in a city and don't realize how much of their life is dependant on natural resources. Harvested, mined, or farmed. They consume huge amounts or natural resources - including fur, minerals, fiber, and meat. They are oblivious to the fact what they protest is responsible for their success. They protest, but they consume. Hyprocrits. Big Time. They are uneducated in the natural world. And don't seem to care.

3. My family and my neighbors have significant history in trapping. It's rare, but there a few individuals that make the majority of their income in Minnesota from trapping. Maybe 30-40K. Not a mint, but that's what they do. Far more common is supplemental income or hobby trappers. It is significant income for them too. But not life sustaining. Like a part time job, where there are no other part time jobs. Assuming #1 is a fact, why are we forced to give up our part time jobs?

4. The people who propose protecting the Lynx in the mythical lynx range don't just propose eliminating trapping Lynx, or reducing the potential for accidental catch, they propose the elimination of ALL TRAPPING! Why? Some folks only trap weasels. There's no possible way a weasel trap is going to harm a Lynx. Agenda? Ignorance? Stupidity?

Brother. This is an outrage to me. If unchallenged, it will grow resentment and misunderstanding.

It is unnecessary.

Craig

this is deffinetly a hidden agenda. The Lynx range into Mn but not a permanent population. This is kinda like Mt Lions in MN they are here but not enough to call them permanent or taking hold yet. But the Lynx probably never will take hold here. This is just one or more groups attempt to stop trapping, remember the Spotted Owl?

I got something from "Big Cat Rescue" - an anti-trapping/hunting group. They are trying to outlaw all trapping in Superior National Forest to prevent the trapping of Lynx.

On a side note, we have Lynx at our hunting shack and see them maybe once every other year. Very quiet walking in the woods and skittish.

Thanks for the insight. I guess the anti thing is pretty obvious. I was wondering if there was a way to continue trapping but to exclude a lynx from getting into a trap. The little I know about leg hold and connibar makes me think that it can't be done.

I thought I read an article a while back about how someone did a study using some scent posts and some sort of device that captured fur, and the result was that not a single piece of evidence to suggest that a lyns had been around. Also I think I read that DNA testing has shown that prior claims of lynx presence has revealed that a lot of mis-identification has occurred in the past. Is my memory correct or should I move to assisted living right now?

sign up and join the minnesota trappers assoc, if you are really worried about this, you can also make a donation to our legal defense fund in any amount. thank you. we are taking this all the way to the end...

Thats the endangered specie act for ya. I took 13 lynx this year all legal--just north of the Minn boundary. We don't have bob cats here--at least very rarely. Lynx are just like wolves--have never been in any danger of extintion in the boreal forest.

You know what's really sad? The feds were conducting a study of lynx in NE Minnesota several years ago, and couldn't find any lynx. Despite their college degrees and alleged wildlife expertise, they simply couldn't get the lynx to cooperate.

Along comes the locals, including trappers - and miraculously the lynx is "discovered". Because they were discovered, now they are listed as "endangered". Is anyone getting a headache yet? I know I am!

Lynx have come and gone in NE Minnesota for a long time - a lot longer than the ESA has been in existence. No matter what the feds do to "manage" the lynx they couldn't find in the first place - it is doubtful the lynx will ever "recover" within the meaning of the ESA. At some point the snowshoe rabbit numbers will skyrocket again - the lynx numbers will go up - and someone is going to yell "HOORAY - WE'RE SAVING THE LYNX!!!"

Of course, then the rabbit numbers will plunge (as they eventually must), the lynx population will dwindle, and we'll be right back where we are now.

NE Minnesota is marginal lynx habitat, always has been, and always will be. Using the ESA in this case is simply nonsense.