• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Mercury oil

prov1900

I have a 225 Optimax. I just bought 2.5 gallons of the Opti oil the other day. It was $73.00 for 2.5 gals. Wow. These questions have probably been posed before so I apologize if this is a repeat.

Do any of you Opti owners go with anything else for oil, i.e., anything cheaper? Would I be facing "real" problems if I went with something else? Are there any other oils out there that compare to the Opti oil?

Second question...my buddy owns a 115 Merc 4 stroke. Same idea in questioning. Do you have to go with Merc oil in the 4 strokes? Is there anything out there that works just as good for less $$?

And finally, I hear that if you use another type of oil, it will void any warranties. Is that really true?

And now, the actual final question. Can Amsoil be used in either motor?

Both motors are 2005 models if that helps.

You don't have to use Mercury oil and you won't void the warranty if you don't use it.

You DO have to use an oil formulated for DFI motors in the Opti - it runs better, it burns better, it will prevent carbon build-up that could possibly cause problems with the heads.

I have an Opti and I usually use the Merc oil formulated for Optis. Sometimes I use other oils, on 2 conditions - it has to be formulated for a DFI outboard, and it can't be the cheapest bargain-priced oil out there.

I ran amsoil in my boat for part of a season and won't run it any more.

Something I've never understood is why guys will spend tens of thousands of dollars on boats and motors, and hundreds and thousands of dollars on fishing gear, but try to cut corners on the oil they run in their motors. I'm not suggesting anyone wastes money, I just don't think saving a $10-$20-$30 a year on outboard motor oil is a very wise move.

I have run Amsoil in my Opti for the past two years w/o any problems. No fouling whatsoever at the end of the year. Can you share any of your concerns with the use of Amsoil?

Originally Posted By: PerchJerker

Something I've never understood is why guys will spend tens of thousands of dollars on boats and motors, and hundreds and thousands of dollars on fishing gear, but try to cut corners on the oil they run in their motors. I'm not suggesting anyone wastes money, I just don't think saving a $10-$20-$30 a year on outboard motor oil is a very wise move.

I hear you, I don't like to cut corners either, but 73 bucks for 2.5 gals just seemed ludicrous. If there was a way to get something cheaper that was just as good....I am not about to cut corners and risk blowing a spendy motor like that. That is why I ask questions here.

remember, your warranty will not be effective if the manufacturer finds that the proper oil was not used. Merc DFI oil in a Merc is the only way to go especially in an Optimax. Most specifically use the opti oil for sure. Those motors are pretty good on oil in general. My 06' has been...