• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Santa Fe Model 1945

Graybuck

I just recieved a bolt action rifle that has Santa Fe Model 1945 on the side of the barrel and also above the chamber it says

U. S. Remington Model of 1917. Has Golden State Arms Corp, Pasedena Ca. on it. No where does it even say what caliber it is. Anyone out know anything about this rifle? Thanks

Golden States Arms was one of several(many)importers of military surplus arms in the 50's & 60's. I would guess its either a 308 or a .06. They commercially customized militery surplus firearms. Enfields and Mausers and so forth. Your best bet would be to call a few gun shops and find out exactly what you have and its value. Unless its a very rare model, your probably not looking at alot of value and it depends greaty on how accurate the gun shoots.

Sounds like you have a Remington M1917. Not too sure what the "Santa Fe model 1945" means. Could you post some pictures? Here's a brief history I found:

Quote:
The United States Rifle, Caliber .30, M1917, developed at the Royal Small Arms Factory in Middlesex.

When the United States prepared for WWI, there were shortages of the m1903 Springfield. The '03 manufacturing was not able to keep up with U.S. demand for armaments.

The U.S. companies of Remington, Winchester, and the Remington-Eddystone Arsenal, had just completed contracts for m1914 Enfields for England and were able to retool the existing manufacturing facilities to produce the m1914 in 30-06. Thus the m1917 was born.

Phased out at as the primary U.S. battle rifle the end of WWI and replaced by the m1903. Still carried in service during WWII and distributed to allies post WWII.

It should be .30-06 unless it was re-chambered. Talk to the guy's at Cabela's gun library if you want an estimate. Congrats on a fine rifle by the way.

Hey guys thanks for the info, the rifle is a handme down from the father in law and will be handed down to my boys, so not really looking for a estimate. I will take it to a gunshop and find out for sure what caliber it is, father in law thought it was a 30-06. I will try and post a pic when I get back from vacation.