• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Archery Blind Question

gurkster

I am looking to get a blind to Archery hunt turkeys from. I know many people like the Double Bull Blinds. I see same sized blinds in the $150 range that seem very similar? What makes the DB so much better and is it worth the 2-3 times higher price tag? Thanks to all who reply.

I have been using a blind the last 3 years for turkey hunting, and this year might be the last year using it. It is not a DB, and it is starting to fall a part. The seam by the door is starting to rip, and 2 hubs have pulled throught the sides.

A DB blind is so much better quality, you get what you pay for. Hopefully that is what my next one will be.

Also the DB has a better window system to open and close. Mine has zippers and velcro, so there is no way you can open and close them when a bird comes up from behind.

Gurkster:

You want to look at a number of different factors in purchasing a ground blind for turkeys. These are universal, and apply them to any blind you want, cheap or expensive. My suggestion is to go to a retailer that has them all out on display and apply these principles

• Material - What's it made of? Is is plastic, poly, or a poly/cotton blend like the DB which has no shine or sheen when the sun is beating on it? This is a key aspect to hunting turkeys and deer out of it. Cheaper poly material shines out in the open. The poly cotton blend used in the DB blinds is fade resistant, and more importantly, is lined with solid black on the inside of the blind. This allows you to keep the front of the blind wide open when wearing black (to match your surroundings), so you don't have a net to shoot thru.

Is the exterior going to move in the wind? Leaf-camo or other blinds that shimmer in the lightest breeze prevent you from bringing turkey within bow-range in all but the most calm days. They simply will not tolerate the blind moving at 20 yards or less.

• Design - How are the hubs configured, and how do you set it up? Can you set this thing up quietly, with roosted birds 100 yards away? In a DB, the lightweight metal hub design is far more durable than plastic imitations, and also provides the portability you get with the system. The hub system, with rods, push the outside walls of the blind tight, allowing no flap or movement in even gusty wind-situations. Furthermore, I can set mine up whisper-quiet in less than 20 seconds. Paying less attention to my noise, say in having to set it up quickly to running birds coming from a few hundred yards away, I can get the thing up in about 7 seconds flat.

What kind of window system does the blind have? Windows are infinitely adjustable with the Dark Horse or Matrix models, which is important depending on where you'll be setting up the blind. More importantly, they offer the only silent window system on the market, which when opened goes from black to black, allowing you to actually drop a window to shoot game out of the back or sides of the blind. Velcro, zippers, snaps, and clips used on other blinds would never allow you to do that with turkeys in-range. What good is a window if you can't open it to kill the bird when it comes in at an unintended angle? The Matrix and Dark Horse allow you the largest ports to shoot out of, while still keeping you concealed when wearing full black.

• Quality - Ask anyone who has ever hunted out of one or owns one. This is a long-term investment in a very quality product. You don't like it for whatever reason? Sell it for near the same money you bought it for, as they're in incredible demand on the used market. I still hunt out of a 10 year old T5 Prostaff model when I'm not using my matrix, and the thing sets up as easily and is as-effective as it was the day it was bought.

Turkeys do not tolerate sheen, movement of the blind, or noticeable motion in a blind, esp. when hunting with archery equipment. If you can't move inside of it, open windows/doors, or set it up quietly, you're severely limiting yourself. Cheaper blinds are much more an option for the gun hunter, as you can get away with quite a bit more at that yardages commonly used.

I've been hunting turkeys for over 10 years in a blind and have learned the hard way what becomes of my hunt when trying to kill birds with archery equipment outside of it. It's incredibly rare to be able to draw your bow when a bird is within archery range, and not be detected, in a poorer blind or out in the open.

Once you hunt more from the ground, you'll tend to use the blind more for everything. In many respects, it opens up a whole new realm of options for your hunting. You'll learn that turkeys have no fear of a good blind, even when set up in the middle of a field. They'll come right up to it.

Joel

Joel has some good advice, My advice is simply- you pay for what you get, this is no big supprise...Ive went through a couple cheap blinds and have already payed more than than what I would have if I wouldnt have if I would have just went ahead and bought a quality blind. Dont be afriad to pay top dollar if you can, cause in the long run youll probably end up paying more for blinds than you would like- Joe

I've got a T2, a Matrix, and a Dark Horse. Nice blinds to say the least. Most of the others on the market don't compare but there's a few nice ones out there. The Primos GroundMax Vision looks pretty decent and comes in Predator. I think around $200 on that one. A lot depends on how you use the blinds. If you've got some private property and want to use them for whitetails... you might be better off buying 2 or 3 cheaper ones... brush them in good and leave them out for the season. Otherwise if you want a quality blind for turkey hunting and maybe plan to use it a few times for critters in the fall, I wouldn't hesitate to shell out a few extra $'s and grab a Double Bull.

Thanks guys, exactly the info that I was looking for. I am thinking that I will probably get the DB. I have been ground hunting for a few years now, but I have always used natural blinds like windfalls, brush piles, etc. I have been successful with deer that way, but for Turkeys I may need the extra concealment that an actual blind offers. I have a few Turkeys under my belt with the gun, so now I need to get one with my bow.