• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Ya Take A Guy Fish'in

Shack

Had a pretty good afternoon and evening yesterday, well I should say my bro in-law (Screen name KQ#1) had a pretty good afternoon/evening. We hit a local lake and where the only ones out on the lake. We located a shallow break line (from 4-7’) and set up the porty right away.

I was hole hopping and he was in the porty messing around as usual. He set him self up with two bobber rigs, with a Nymph on one, a beetle/ lady bug type thing on the other, a couple of Ice Buster bobber and a couple crappie minnows (not a winning combo IMO). We I head off in the yonder, with my spring bobber and Ratzo (red euro waiting in the wings), start hole hoping the holes I drilled and I start marking some fish. Minutes later I hear a whistle and see him walking over. I had seen a fish, which looked like a major thick crappie. It turned out to be a pale rock bass (never knew they where in this lake). I tell him to go throw it in another hole far away, because I have I have fish down here. Well minutes later, I hear another whistle and him waving a fish. I come over thinking its going to be a good slab, well it turns out the be a nice walter.

W1nonjIFltRskcg8R4UJYvWmY6BJMtvd0255.jpg

Well by this time we are getting close to sun down. I head over and sure enough minutes later another whistle. He got the evening’s first slab.

s3J5o6tQ42ssp9vTwHR9JS9EQd48GJkS0300.jpg

By then I said the heck with hole hoping, I went in the shack for the evening. Half hour later, another pike (I think we caught this guy 3 times last).

WKzwImY7BDwPGg+vWBhx-B6bHo9Rbx-S0300.jpg

Then after this he gets a another crappie.

4llFA6hpeBHONP9HR9J8tSW6-r3voWNW0300.jpg

Another:

OGwNNw5oSfIpq7FmYQLcwwzelxUaM8EY0300.jpg

Another: This one pushed 13"

1V6IPn4JgVvOXF0qZXxTXoi3Ze7dpYQZ0300.jpg

ktZPGy-q8a9FmcjGonA7S8raHlTN-4R30300.jpg

When you think things are done, another:

P+SSklZQHQ95cBf2jSKF81LDpnhIxD3z0300.jpg

I did get one crappie last night. It is my PB of this year (measured) 13.5" and some change, but no 16"'er yet.

Kq9ptz0K5BcsizqvfhobOBONiKAn88aa0300.jpg

I also did get a video of me getting a northern and will post later; with some other crappies I did not snap shots of, just video.

What a blast last night was. In the video my bro in-law is commenting about the evening being like the last round of golf in the movie Caddyshack. It was a fun night for sure.

I think this tells me, the fish are in-deed going after large presentations like other have said in this forum. Plus, electronics are almost useless (except for positioning bait), because the fish come in fast and slam the bait before you even know what happens (at least last night). That is a total opposite from just 2-3 weeks ago.

Well, now is the time to head out for some of these late ice fish. Sorry I did not name the lake, it is small and I need to keep my behind in tack.

Good luck and good fishing.

All fish where caught and released and we have some good footage of the releases.

I do not think I mentioned this, but I did get a 7-8”perch also. It made this trip a 5 species trip. I never even had a 4 species before (during ice time) in one trip. A couple of day’s maybe. That's why KQ#1 is holding up 4 fingers in the one image, he caught four him self.

It also shows you, you can have the best gear and electronics and get out fished by a guy with the basic and no electronics.

I just know you live around the same area I do and was driving and there was a black port all by its self on one of the smaller lakes around the area....thought it might have been you....Good Luck and nice crappies!!!

Originally Posted By: Eskimoman
Nice looking fish. I am going to steal your idea of making a ruler on one of my poles in my fish house. I can never find a ruler when I need one.

I bought a used Otter and he had a yardstick attached to the lip of the sled.

Ya, it's a great idea I got from FM here in the ice forum. It's just getting around to doing it.

For me it was when I caught the crappie in avater and had nothing with to measure. I feel that fish went 14" or a little more, but have nothing to prove it.

The next day I did it.

Thanks gays and gals..