• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Centering Steering Wheel?

CatManLee

I have a 2002 Crestliner FishHawk 1750 w/Yamaha 90hp 2 stroke. The steering wheel isn't centered when the motor is straight, and it's kinda annoying. Does anyone know if you can "usually" adjust this at the console w/ the steering wheel mechanism itself, or is it gonna be something that has to be done where the motor rod connects to the steering cable in the back? I'm not sure what kind of steering set up it is, don't know the brand or any of that just looking for a general answer, yes usually or no never kind of thing. I just want to know where I should start to get this aligned....

This isn't something that "Has" to be fixed, but it would be nice, ya know?

Any help is appreciated. I could start trying to figure it out myself, but maybe I can save some time by checking here first.

Thanks.

If you don't have hydraulic steering (which you probably don't) you should be able to pop the center cover off and see 3 bolts / screws / fastneres that connect the steering wheel to the hub. That will give you 120 degrees of correction or get you closer anyway by re-locating the alignment there.

That's about all you can do...

marine_man

Also if you take wheel completely off, which it's tough since you will have to use a puller probably, you'll find the helm (steering gear) has a woodruff key, the inside of the wheel has 3 slots, re-align the wheel with one of the slots, and reassemble as before.

I would like to avoid pulling the whole thing apart, but who knows we'll see. I know about the 3 bolts, I might have to see if it'll get closer or not.

I was hoping there would be a magic nut??? Ha....

Originally Posted By: CatManLee
I would like to avoid pulling the whole thing apart, but who knows we'll see.

It's not much work, pry the center cap off, unscrew the center nut and pry wheel off. 10 minute job.

Thanks Valv, I might have to do that after-all. I took off my center cap on the wheel last night, but it doesn't have the "three Bolt" pattern I was expecting. The boat has tilt steering and It's just one nut, plus it wouldn't budge when I tried to remove it...No way, no how....Are they pasted with lock-tight or what? Is there any special way to go about loosening this nut on the front?

Thanks.

Loosen the nut in the center of the steering wheel so its about even with the end of the threads but dont take it all the way off yet. Then while your sitting in the drivers seat, with one hand pull as hard as you can on the top of the steering wheel. At the same time wedge your knee behind the bottom of the steering wheel to pull it towards you. While your doing all this, use a hammer in your free hand to beat on the shaft in center of the steering wheel.(this is why you don't take the nut all the way off otherwise you will ruin the threads when your beating on it) It should pop loose after a few good hits. Then just take the nut the rest of the way off and you will see a few diferent slots in the back of the steering wheel that the key can slide into and rotate it as needed.(you might not get it perfect but should be able to get it pretty close)

I know it sounds like a crackerjack way of doing things but it works really good. If you can't picture in your head what I'm explaining just let me know and I'll try to put it in better words.