• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

M1A Questions

kywest

So I recently was lucky enough to make a great trade on a lightly used M1A. Maybe a box of shells through it. It is the standard "GI" Issue setup. I was curious as to what the effective range of a weapon like this in .308. I know that when I was in Iraq, a few of the snipers I was around used them as their medium range (500-1000m) gun. Now, they may be able to be effective at that range but I highly doubt I would be able to get there on my own. What can I expect to get for range out of the M1A? Thanks guys

what are you looking to do with it? The 308 can be a good "long range" round. I put that in quotations because I would consider 500-1000 yds. long range. As with any gun, the more practice you put in, the better you will learn your limitations. As far as deer hunting, you should be good to 400 yards, but is that a shot you are going to be able to take? Get some good optics on it and practice practice practice.

Oh yeah, congrats on the new acquisition

At this point, I am not looking to use it for hunting. The hunting I do here will not really allow a shot over 40-50 yards.... stupid trees. I like to do a lot of the tactical shooting with ARs and combat pistol. I was hoping to add the sniping portion right a long with that. Those yardages could have been a bit exagerated but thats what the snipers told me. I would guess their long range gun was their Barrett .50cal.

You bring up a good point, good optics? Obvisouly the scopes I like are not the scopes I can afford. If it were you, what would you put on it.

I am trying to save up right now for the burris 4.5-14x52 fullfield model for my flat top AR. I personally like my burris, it is the only "big name" scope I own and I have not noticed a difference between then and Luepold or nikon when I compare at the store. I think a 308 is capable up to 500 yards, but a lot of that will depend on you