• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

20 gauge?

WallyGator12000

So I am contemplating using my 20 gauge wingmaster for Turks this season...issue is it is from 1983 and doesn't have choke tubes, the barrel I would be using is a modified, but it can chamber 3 inch loads. I plan on patterning later this week, but anyone tried a setup like this before?

your gun will work but you will want to pattern a few rounds to see what it's doing at 25, 30, and 35 yards. I wouldn't recommend shooting at anything beyond that.

Something else that I have done in the past is use steel shot. I try to encourage people not to use steel if at all possible because it loses knock down power faster than any other shot out there.

I beleive some of the other shot types like bismuth, tungsten, or hevi-shot are harder than lead and wont deform as bad and give you a tighter pattern. It will be more expensive than lead, but worth the extra knock-down power.

Do not worry about using the 20ga. I used mine and knocked one down cold at 33yds lat year.

My bigger concern would be getting a solid pattern at longer distances. You are on the right path by trying out some loads and patterning it. My buddy has an old wingmaster too and not being able to change barrels or tubes is his biggest gripe. I'm sure you will be fine it just might take some fine tuning of the loads.