• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Powerbelts

Bowfin

I used to shoot sabots through my muzzleloader but switched to 245 grain aerotip powerbelts last year. The powerbelts loaded MUCH easier. Seems like I have a flyer once in a while though. I wonder if they don't seal on ignition once in a while. Anyone else have any impressions on powerbelts? I sure like how easy they load.

Last year my set-up consisted of 295 Gr. Powerbelts, 130 grains of triple seven, Remington Kleanbore 209 ML primers, out of a CVA Kodiak with I believe a 28" barrel. This set-up shot great at the range.

Come opening day of ML season I shot a buck at 75 yards. Aiming at the boiler room on the broadside deer I ended up hitting him in the neck. The deer only went 20 feet from where I hit it before crumpling to the ground. Strange thing was that I don't think I hit any bone with the shot. I hit "low" on the neck hitting the wind pipe area. Stranger yet, NO EXIT hole. I never dug into the really nasty stuff to recover the bullet. I did find many small pieces of bullet while cutting close to damaged meat. I don't believe the bullet held together.

I will be trying other ammo next year, but the powerbelts did get me my first ML deer.

I've heard (though I don't know if its true) that Powerbelts don't hold together well with magnum powder loads. I've shot 2 deer with powerbelts - 1 went through and the other stopped just under the fir on the opposite side and held together with a good mushroom. I shoot 100 grains of Triple Seven out of a 26" barrel.

I shoot Hornday SST 250 Gr sabots w/150 gr Pyrodx pellets and have had very good luck at the range and hunting. No flyers at the range. I shot three deer this year from 20-100 yards and not one took a step. I think the most important thing is finding a bullet you like shooting and practice at the range to know how it shots and gain confidence in it. You get one shot at that buck of a lifetime so you want to know you WILL kill it.

Powerbelts are easy to load and they patterned great for me once I mastered a consistent load process. I did quite a bit of experimenting last summer and powerbelts were my favorite at the range.

After using them on a bear hunt last fall, I'll never use them again for big game. I shot a smallish bear at 15 yards and the powerbelt completely disintegrated after hitting a rib. This The bear didn't make it 15 steps, but I doubt I would have been so lucky if I hit a more solid bone like the shoulder.

Basically the way a powerbelt works is that it is undersized to the bore. When the charge is ingited the powerbelt itself expands (metal and all). This process explains why a powerbelt is so easy to load, and it also explains why there are so many complaints about their performance on game. It's tough to design a bullet that expands on detonation and still holds together on game.

After my problem with the bear I started looking on the net and found tons of folks had the same bad experience I did with powerbelts. I've since switched to a sabot made by a reputable bullet maker. You'll get tons of bad information about how 'great' powerbelts are by folks who are either paid to endorse them, or who have bought the marketing campaign lock stock and barrel.