• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Braided/Small Diameter Line With Stretch?

Spazzums08

We all know that mono stretches and braided doesn't, but it's gota lower diameter. I need some heavy duty line (30+, I'm hoping to hit 50 or more), but I also want the stretch in it too. Which braided line have you guys used that stretches the most?

Originally Posted By: Spazzums08
We all know that mono stretches and braided doesn't, but it's gota lower diameter. I need some heavy duty line (30+, I'm hoping to hit 50 or more), but I also want the stretch in it too. Which braided line have you guys used that stretches the most?

Check out Tectan its a mono with smaller diameter than usual, its a Cabelas only brand, I use it for cranks alot, has the stretch of mono, but very thin diameter, I use the stuff thats 6lb diamter 12 pound strength

I hate to say it, I dont think it is out there for you. Florocarbon stretches less than mono but more than briaid.. But to say that one briad line stretches more than any other... Maybe a percent or two.. but nothing that you would notice that I am aware of...

if that is the case your better off buying a rod that has more give.. it would have a very similar affect.

Originally Posted By: Spazzums08

all braid stretches, but you wouldn't notice it. The fibers themselves will stretch. Spectra and dyneema will probably stretch up to 4%. Dacron will stretch up to 10% maybe 12%. Compared to mono, it's like there's no stretch. Many braids have other kinds of coating on them to help with preventing fraying or line digging on your spool. If you get a braid without anykind of special chemical coating, I think that it will give you more of a feel of it stretching, something like regular Cabela's ripcord. That's partly due to the weaving that has become loose.

If you look at a marketed stretch braid like Rapala Titanium Stretch Braid. It is very hard for me to believe you can take the stretch properties of spectra 4% and dacron 10% to come up with a 7% stretch. If the fibers are as marketing of 4 strands spectra and 4 strands dacron braid as in weaved, then you cannot make spectra stretch more that it's 4% stretch. It's like if you take regular nylon coated around a steel wire and somehow you make the steel stretch. Well not gonna happen even if they were braided together.

If somehow you tie one end of the spectra 4% stretch to the end of dacron 10% stretch then making the overall sum measurement of both fibers, then you'll average out a 7% stretch. While infact it stretchs 4% in one section while it stretches 10% in another section. In theory you can achieve it this way if you chain link sections of each type of fiber.

I'm curious if anyone who uses Rapala Titanium Stretch Braid can vouch for it's stretch.

At Gander mt. the other day I am pretty sure I saw some line that marketed as a braid with stretch, I remember thinking "thats interesting" but realy don't remember any names, and can't say I am remembering right anyways.

Tie some XT to the end of your Braided line (shock leader). I see no reason why it won't work. I don't know why you want stretch. If the shock leader is not enough stretch, use it with a fiberglass pole.

My question is sort of on topic. I just bought a Daiwa Accudepth 17LC. The guy who sold it to me at Cabelas told me that I could spool mono or braid on it. The pamphlet with it says for proper operation use mono. I was planning on using braid. Does it matter? I have always used braid to troll cranks. I was under the impression that I would get better hook sets. Am I wrong in doing so? I always use mono backing.

Oh yeah, I should mention that it's a line counter.

Originally Posted By: slipperybob

all braid stretches, but you wouldn't notice it. The fibers themselves will stretch. Spectra and dyneema will probably stretch up to 4%. Dacron will stretch up to 10% maybe 12%. Compared to mono, it's like there's no stretch. Many braids have other kinds of coating on them to help with preventing fraying or line digging on your spool. If you get a braid without anykind of special chemical coating, I think that it will give you more of a feel of it stretching, something like regular Cabela's ripcord. That's partly due to the weaving that has become loose.

What percentages do monos stretch?

Mono can stretch from anywhere from maybe 10% to maybe 25%. I don't know if it's openly published somewhere. The feel of stretch is from the elastic property that which monos stores energy. You feel the gradual elasticity as soon as the line begins to stretch. For example take trilene XL and it feels stretchy. Take trilene ice and it feels low stretch in comparison.

I can't see how using braided line will make it work poorly.

Basicly all a line counter does is count the turn of the reel spool and translates that into 10ths of a foot. Larger dia. line would change the dia. of the spool quicker as the line is spooled out and thous, throw off the reading quicker then a small dia. line would.

A line counter just gives you a good idea of how much line you have out. Say you have 120' of line out and you start hitting bottom at twenty feet deep. So what if you really have 130 feet of line out. You know that with that reel, line and lure with 120feet of line out your good to go in 20FOW.

When the first generation of superlines came out, those line counters could not get an accurate measurement on braids. Part of it is the small diameter the other part is the low friction property of the lines.

It was the same with the line rollers on spinning reels. Those without the groove guide fare poorly for superlines. Even the groove angle on line rollers changed to accommodate for superlines.