• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

New Tire/Fender Light Damage from Rubbing

SomethingFishy*

Some quick shots of the damage I did to the rear fenders/tires on my popo with the new tires. :BANGHEAD.gif: I wonder if some heaveier duty springs will assist this minor problem, or would it be a waste with damage already done? Both sides of the machine did this, it also took off a little bit of the rubber on the outside lugs.

P1010566.jpg

P1010568.jpg

P1010562.jpg

P1010561.jpg

P1010560.jpg

P1010559.jpg

P1010557.jpg

You wouldn't happen to own a Sawzall would ya? grin.gif

Looks like a couple reliefs would do the trick and maybe dress it up a little. Stiffer springs will reduce the likelyhood of this happening, but won't prevent it.

It all depends on your driving habits.

To steal a quote from Forest Gump:

"That's all I have to say about that!" grin.gif

It's because it's a Polaris. hahaha

Is the suspension compressing that much to hit the tires? It shouldn't be much difference being the stock tires were 26" tall, but you do have a wider offset and wider wheels now. I just can't imagine the suspension compressing that much. Am I wrong or what's going on?

I know when towing heavy loads on a sportsman it really drags down the rear end and may cause premature wear to the springs and make them real spongy??????? Could this be it?

I'll have to get a measurement off of our Sp to see if you are sagging too much or what. The rear looks awefully low to me.

All the guys that I ride with that have sportsmans have to same problem. Only makes it worse with larger tires. I would crank your springs up a little bit so it isnt so bottomed out.

I think It's my fatasz. lol. Probably my weight with the extra fuel and the weight of everything in the cargo box. I haven't adjusted my springs from the mfg. I thought I heard it rub a few times when I was riding it (like I stole it) up and over some large logs and various other obstacles in the creek. I was definetly not babying her in WI thats for sure.

S.F. The springs on the factory setting are (I believe) on the lowest possible setting. So in fact, with the cargo box, gas can and you on the machine there's a pretty good chance that's the problem. There should be a spanner wrench included in your tool kit for you to crank up the preload on the rear springs. Jack up the back end to take the load of the rear of the wheeler and crank the adjusters up a couple of nothces and try that. Only go a couple notches at a time till it quits rubbing. If you go all the way stiff right away you may sacrifice some of the plush ride when you really don't need that much. IF it still rubs then go some more. Should fix ya right up!

NAMA, thanks for the post. I will have to look into getting a spanner wrench as none of the 3 Sportsmans (06 and newer) we have owned have come with one. I want to adjust the front and rear a bit as it should help a little in the winter with the tracks on as well.

Yamahas dont come with a wrench either mad.gif Ive just been using a channel lock on mine but it kinda chews it up and looks like [PoorWordUsage]. By buddy with a 700 sportsman actually has 25"X10" Exacutioners on the back of his and it still rubs ocasionally. We had about 10 people on it one night and it really rubbed then! blush.gif

Originally Posted By: Dozer
We had about 10 people on it one night and it really rubbed then! blush.gif

I'll pretend I didn't see that.

Signed,

Your Friendly Neighborhood MN DNR ATV Safety Instructor

Not picking on you Dozer, as you know I like you, but there was an accident last weekend with multiple people on an atv. It was near a friend of mine's cabin near Brainerd and a 21 year old was killed. Please lets all be careful. Accidents like this don't look good for any of us.

No offense taken Roofer, I will be the first to say it wasnt a good idea! That was a couple years ago and I was a little wilder then. I heard about that accident by Brainerd, not a good deal!

Crank up the pre-load setting on the rear spring. Wehn it comes from factory its set to the softest setting. I run 27x12 Tri-Claws which actually are more like 27.5 with 10psi in them, and I never have them rub the rear fenders. But my sportsman is a 2002.

That's nothing a retractable utility knife won't take care of. The fenders "trim" very easily. I straightened the fenders out on a 800 last fall. And, yes, adjust the preload up all the way in the rear.

I have 27's on mine and it did the same thing. Too adjust up the rear springs it's a lot easier if you take the weight off with a jack or lift and remove the rear wheels or footwells so you can get at em. Polaris is too cheap to give us a spanner but a BIG channel lock works good. Be careful not to clamp down too hard on the adjusters as they are made of pot metal and can break. I just marked my fenders with a piece of tape and trimmed em up with a coarse file. Looks like new.