• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

favorite campgrounds in MN

this is a hard one and could change with more thought but as of right now I would have to say:

1 - Cascade River State Park ( North Shore )

2 - Zipple Bay ( Lake of The Woods )

3 - Irasca ( minus the crowds - need to go in the off seasons )

I would have to say our favorite campgrounds are the following:

Jay Cooke

South Isle - fishing on Mille Lacs

Crow wing lake

We will hit scenic and bear head state parks this summer. I think my list might have some new ones.

Can anyone give me some info on the corps campground??? I have never heard of them. I asume the are run by the USACE?

Thanks for the info

In no particular order:

Itasca State Park

Bemidji State Park

Scenic State Park

Savanna Portage State Park

Mille Lacs Kathio State Park

Sibley State Park

Judge CR Magney State Park

Maplewood State Park

Gooseberry Falls State Park

Grand Marais Municipal Campground

National Forest campground on Burntside Lake (Ely)

National Forest campground on the Kawishiwi River (Ely)

Two Inlets State Forest Campground (Park Rapids)

Menahga city campground

Akeley City Campground

You can find info about Corps. campgrounds here:

http://www.recreation.gov/recFacilityAct...=RecreationArea

1) entire voyageurs national park system

2) national forest campgrounds on cut foot sioux

3) national forest campgrounds, norway beach, cass lake

dozens of places in the bwca are actually tied for first, but these are 3 of my favorites if we can't be there.

Clubhouse Lake -- Chippewa Nat Forest out of Marcell(N. of Grand Rapids) Big old growth pines.

Any Superior Nat. Forest campground. Ninemile and Eckbeck come to mind, but many others will do. Eckbeck puts you close to Gooseberry falls and Temperence river. If they are full(which they usually are -go to Eckbeck)

No. 3 -- If you don't need showers or flush toilet, see above. Otherwise, Whitewater, Jay Cooke or Father Hennepin State Parks are good for various reasons.

rascal

How about Oxbow Park in Olmsted Co. for waddeing for smallies. Whitewater near St. Charles for trout and Chester Woods park for pannies. Strict limit on sunnies & crappies, but for the most part all are eccelent sites.

Right now I would have to say:

1. Jay Cooke State Park

2. Lamb's Resort in Schroeder. They have some awesome sites on Superior.

3. Spire Rock in Montana.. yeah, I know it's not MN but it's an amazing place to camp.

superior hiking trail

Middle of woods near a good grouse covert

Jay cooke is nice early and late in year when not busy. more so early when the river is running really fast.

Making your own campground is the best for me, I went to gooseberry for a one night stay before going onto the SHT and it was just way to busy to really be a "camping" experience for me. Lots of cool stuff to look at though away from camp.