• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

For Wallabee, ripple or delamination answer?

Hookmaster

I checked it out and they are definitely ripples and not delaminations. I could push them all the way across the room. Any help you could provide for finding the right person to do the restretch would be greatly appreciated, like what questions to ask etc. Carpet is 10+ years old.

Seems pretty strange that buckles/ripples would develop after 10 years without something causing it. How many rooms is the carpet installed in? Are the rooms joined together-via a seam? Has the carpet been released from the tackless strip in any of the rooms? Has the home had any extreme temperature changes/fluctuations? Has moisture been introduced to the carpet such as flooding or cleaning? What are the approx room size(s).

Well the ripples have been there a while, they were just hidden by the furniture. Everything was taken out to redecorate and there they were. One bedroom has this carpet. The carpet may have released from the tackless strip by the door. No major temperature fluctuations and no floods or water spills. It is a 10 X 12 bedroom.

That's about as simple of a re-stretch as can be.

1)Just make sure all the furniture is out of the room before the re-stretch.

2)Make sure the installer uses a power stretcher, not just a knee kicker.

3)Also, don't let the installer use whats called a "spike" (looks like a ice pick-sharp point that connects to the power stretcher and digs into the subfloor).

The Carpet and Rug Institute's web site offers exact information on proper re-stretching. Look it up on the web or I can email it to you.

It's a fairly basic room, so I would just put a post on hsolist and ask for a bid. Make sure to tell them they must follow proper protocol for re-stretching carpet. Tell them what I mentioned and also use the Carpet and Rug Institute's re-stretch directions for reference.

If the ripples are firm-raised creases they might not stretch out.

The flooring industry is slow, so, a lot of installers are looking for work.

Good luck, should be a pretty basic deal. Let us know how it goes. Good thing only one room, re-stretching multiple rooms would be a a real bummer-not to mention expensive.