• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Hey Polarsusd81, TroyMcLure, Deitz - Help!?!

skiinglady

Hey guys,

I've got another group of girl scouts who heard about how much fun we had fishing on Feb 23rd (Baby FMer GTG)and they want to give ice fishing a try. Catch and release. Should I take them back to the same spot we fished that day? Got any other suggestions? What presentations? Bait? Color? Depth? Shoot me a PM at [email protected] if you have a suggestion that you don't want to broadcast. Heading out tomorrow around 3 until sunset or so.

Thanks for the help!

Jane

I'm not 100% sure but I think all 3 of those guys are gone this weekend.

I wasn't at the GTG and don't know where you fished, but I would guess the same area is probably still good. If the fish have moved, they probably moved shallower or towards the first break to shallow water.

Good luck tomorrow.

Ya, Tom and Rob up at LOW, making good use to the left over hotdogs grin.gif.

I would try the same spot. It should still hold good amounts of fish for the kids.

I would use small crappie jigs (ratzo's or any jigs you may have got at the kid event), grub or small crappie minnow.

I would place you self right in about 10-13 fow and bring your jig up about a 1' to 2' off of the bottom.

Good luck..

What shack said, if you can find some euro larva that might work too, but you should be fine with maggots and minnows. Go small with jigs and a small bobber off the bottom like shack metioned. I would assume that spot is still going to get you on fish. Do you have any electronics? That would help you find them.

So very sorry I wasnt here to help you out.. Let us know how things went. I love to get kids hooked on fishing!

That location that we went should be good still for numbers of fish. Size is still something that isn't important with children.

I hope all went well.. If you do something like this again and need some help.. give me a few days notice and I will bend over backwords to help out!

Yep, we were up on LOTW, catching eyes and saugers. Troy McLure and I were out there at the same spot last Saturday morning with my little boy and we caught a few for the table and many more for release. We fished for 2 hours and caught over 150 fish. Best times out there seem to be early in the morning, say 8-11.

Sorry we were not around when you had the question. We stopped at a little lake on our way home today and caught quite a few nice perch. We kept some and threw a lot back, most keepers were 9-11.5, not huge, but big enough. As Deitz said, with a few days notice, we could probably even come back out there and fish with you. It doesn't take much to convince me to hit the ice. grin.gif

Hope you did well.

We went back to the same spot and had another good day. Got there about 5:00PM and had the first fish on the ice by 5:02PM. (We drill our holes with a 5" hand auger!) One of the Girl Scouts I brought with me caught her first fish EVER! Another one was just fascinated by the Marcum. 10,000 questions! My 8 year old son caught 15 "keepers" = 7 inch bluegills. I had to talk him into going fishing with us. Now he wants to know when we can go again. I love getting kids turned on to fishing!

We fished for 1.5 hours and brought home enough for a meal or two. Even caught a couple of 8 to 9" crappies. One girl caught a 9" golden shiner! How has that thing escaped the jaws of a northern for long enough to grow that big?!?

Thanks for all the offers to help. The 'secret' spot did the trick! Next time I'll send out the SOS earlier in the week.

Jane

Great job Jane. Nice to hear you got another group of kids out and you got on some fish. It's great to see kids get their first fish and get even more after that. If you ever need help in the future let me know. If I can't make it out to help you I would be willing to borrow you my auger so you can get these kids fishing faster. I can usually make it out if it helps getting kids out there.