• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

For those of you who fish the IGL quite often. I am originally from NW Iowa and am heading home over Easter. Is there a good chance you think that there will be alot of good ice still to fish on?

How has the fishing been? Is it slowly picking up towards ice out?

Thanks

Walleye #1

Hey Jason,

If this crappy weather doesn't change soon, you'll be DRIVING out over Easter break! We always used to plan on Easter break being a good time for the first open water trip of the year to Chamberlain, but with the combination of a very cold winter and an early Easter, I'm not sure it won't be a good time to throw the shack in and head somewhere for a late ice bite. But yes, you'll have plenty of good ice over the Easter break. HMS has 5 days off, so we're hoping to get one more good ice fishing weekend in before ice out. We've been mostly hitting a local farm pond with good results, but will be up to the IGL next weekend and let you know what we find. Take care.

The old HMS math guy

Bill what ruler are you using, If that is only 24 inches in Anglers, I have been way off. I say more like 30. But you know how us men can exagerate size..... let my fishing stories be an example... I really think there is close to 30 though. At least where I was on Anglers, and Smiths bay for that fact too.

I would agree with you Chad that there is at least 30 inches of ice out there. This is probably the first year in a lonnnnnng time that I have had to use most of the auger flighting on my auger. There should be enough ice out there for Easter. I have spring break starting on the 14th and goes until the 25th so hopefully I can get some serious fishing done during that week also.

There have been spots on the lakes that I have gone over the flighting on my auger. I would say easter should be prime time for crappies it is already beginning. Chad Ill be around somewhere just not early feel free to call me if I dont call you first.

I like that idea, no early for me either. I am game for an late morning afternoon showdown!!!! I am assuming you talked to spider or someone???

honda,

Yep...he's my assistant SB coach, so we spend a lot of time together. Small world indeed. I see mid to upper 40's in the week's forecast, so I'm hoping the next 2 weeks are prime time. Think I'll try the pond this afternoon for a bit.

NWBuck

I was there on Friday morning' date=' it was -12 F and there was over 24" of ice on Angler's Bay. quote']

I said OVER 24" of ice and i would agree it is about 30". I havn't seen this much ice since i have moved down here. Its great. We should be ice fishing in April!

Hey Chad,

I am frustrated again. I just could not get anything on the hook. I did alot of drilling and hole checking with both the showdown and the camera. Tried the showdown again this weekend and so far I like it but I need to find some hungry fish. I tried the slow and small presentation also. I just don't know what I am doing wrong. This morning I started on Angler's bay, then moved to the grade. From there I went to Marble Beach to try the perch bite. Did have a couple of hits but of course did not keep them on.

I just am just getting frustrated with only a couple of fish caught for me this season. Any suggestions?

Thats pretty cool NWBuck. It is defenitly a small world. Russ is a pretty neat guy. Would you please tell him Hi from me.

Is this pond that you fish a public pond that others could try. I wouldnt mind finding a couple of ponds that I could try out that might be less traveled than the lakes.

Hondarider,

Private pond...belongs to my uncle.

Bopped down this afternoon for a couple of hours just prior to sunset. Brought home 6 jumbo gills...a much more aggressive bite than the last couple of times down there, and excellent size for the fish I kept. Threw several back that a lot of guys would've kept. It should only get better from here on out. Heard of a decent perch bite on Spirit over the weekend, so we plan to give that a shot over the next couple of weeks as well.

NWBuck