• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Summer Rods

mike morris

A lot of things are put into those high dollar equipment from the start of the manufacturing process or even from the research and design of it. What us consumer get is what presentation technique can we accomplish and how we fight or play the fish with certain rod and reel combo. We can toss out a bobber or line and sinker with just about anything, but how we control and impart those subtle actions with our tools separates two people side by side with who catches more fish other than just reliance on luck.

I have a combo in excess of $800, just one, but I also have one combo that costs less than $40 all together. Several combo's in between, because I was learning my tools and learning my techniques, as certain equipment makes some part of the fishing easier and more enjoyable. It's not just the tool that catches the fish, it's the fisherman that catches fish. I use to laugh at the people using expensive equipment, but now I am one of them using expensive equipment. I learn to appreciate the equipment as well as be humble to those who use cheap equipment.

Things like twitching a jerkbait or shaking a 7" worm are easier to accomplish with higher quality equipment. Even imparting a [jerk-bait], twitch to a simple crankbait on the retrieve can be effortless or full of a lot of effort. The fisherman in how he uses his tools.

If you can, spend a little more,I would check out the Cabela's line of rods. There are alot of different rods (that would cost a little more) that would be better than the ugly stick. You can get a Fish Eagle II for around $79. There are more that are a little cheaper.

I went out yesterday and bought myself a Shimano Crucial 7'2" medium extra fast. I like it a lot. The one thing that I thought was weird is that I was looking at reels to put on it and I saw a Pflueger Medalist for $19. It was clearly mismarked, but I actually didn't believe it. I though I had my models wrong, thinking it was the low end reel, but in fact I was correct it traditionally is $79 and they mismarked it. I have to go back today to pick it up for $19. After I get one for that price I will share where it was.