• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Fishing with Yo-Yo's

feverpetal

Read an interesting article an using Automatic Fishing Reels or Yo-Yo's... I was wondering what everyone thought about them. I can understand how they could work well for catfish and pike, but I think it would be a hit or miss on walleyes. Also, are they legal in Minnesota? Could you use them through the ice?

A "Yo-Yo" in this sense is a length of string with a hook attached to a spring-loaded reel. When a fish takes the bait, it triggers the rewinding of the reel, pulling the fish in. Obviously a handy thing to have for the end of the world, but not exactly sporting.

fp

------------------
"Cast riiiiight....there."

I'm in Minnesota. Not that I necessarily trust ESPN, but I believe it was they that stated they were legal in all 50 states. Oh well, i'll have to read the book more carefully tonight, didn't see anything about them in there before.

fp

------------------

The only thing I can see in the regs that would pertain to yo-yo's is that you can't use an unattended line, setline, or trotline, you can only use one line, except through the ice, and that anglers must remain within 200 feet of a tipup. So then you could probably use two of them inside an icehouse, correct? Pike routinely set the hooks themselves, and there is no mention of how a fish has to be reeled in. I guess I'll have to e-mail the DNR.

fp

------------------

Fever, others

I am going by the words I was given by my local C.O. about two years ago, right after I was introduced to yo-yos in Missouri.

He indicated that because the yo-yo does the work - no human intervention after it is set, is the reason its illegal. I had the same idea you're having - that is - put a couple in the fish house.

Check w/ your area C.O. - or Enforcement in St. Paul - see what they have to say.

UG