• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Snow geese sightings migration info etc

As far as the snow geese it looks like a few scout flocks entered SD over the weekend but now some snow and colder temps hit and pushed them S. With warmer temps they will begin ventureing N. Nebraska seems like the hot spot right now and I'm sure there are birds left in Missouri.

Latest reports are saying the geese are in NE, with a few scout flocks looking over SD. Still birds down south as well, but with the NE basins still open birds will stick around there even witht the cold and fresh snow. 40s next week!!!!

As of March 6 sevral thousand snow reported around the Lake Andes and Wagner areas in SD. Look for more birds to filter in to lower SD this week as temps are suppose to be in the 40's with some S winds!

Alot depends on the weather but I would guess you should start seeing alot of birds in the central part of the state late next week or around Easter weekend. I am going next Wednesday for my first 5 day run! There is a strong amount of birds around the Lake Andes Yankton areas now.

As far as the juvies they had a bad hatch last yr so the juvie numbers are a little lower but I would bet the First week in April should be good for them.Usally once you start seeing the sandhill cranes pushing things are just about over.

I prefer the Redfield Clark area but I have hunted Faulkton,Ipswich,Desmet,Huron,Aberdeen,Britton and around Sand lake. I make a decison the night before on what area according to reoprts weather etc. I have contacts and permission to land in all of the above mentioned areas so it really doesn't matter. We decoy hunt and employ 1600 plus decoys so we usally try to get on Migrateing flocks!

gobs of birds throughout South Dakota this weekend....killed 29 in two days of pass shooting.

Impossible for me to estimate numbers of birds but this pic might give you a little proof. As any hunter of spring snows knows...pics do not do it justice!

IMG_0263.jpg