• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Marine Grade Plywood vs. Other Plywood for boats

LindyRigga

Hello all! Just looking for some opinions here. I am looking to make some major modifications to my 1965 16' Lund. Among them are stripping the middle bench and installing a false floor, making a casting deck in front and new swivel seats. Ideally I'd like to use exterior or green treated plywood rather than marine grade due to price, but am not sure thats a good idea. Maybe someone out there knows a good way to treat a lesser grade of plywood to make it last??? All opinions appreciated!!!

There is a new kind of green treated that is approved for contact with Alum, but make sure if you go that way.

I have tried both, and I will always and only use marine in the future. I put it on my pontoon, and it is smoother, straighter and just plain made for marine environment. No need for any additional filling or coating or finishing, just use it as is.

About $85 per sheet when I did mine 3 years ago, so it is spendy, but worth it IMHO. Do it right the first time, then you won't have to do it again \:\)

I am just about done with my floor replacement and i used 3/4 marine grade plywood and sealed it with marine sealer.

i have to second BoxMN's input much better product.

got mine for $70.00 a sheet

ACQ green treated plywood will disolve aluminum, plus most of the treated plywood at home centers is rated for verticle applications not horizontal applications.

Best bet would be marine grade plywood or untreated exterior grade plywood.

Thanks everybody, thought I might be able to save a buck, but sounds like Marine Grade is the way to go. BoxMN and loejay, where did you get your wood? Those seem like great prices compared to what I've seen.

Call the biggest boat/marine dealer in Wyoming MN, starts with H... I am not sure if I can mention it here. Easy to find though. They also rivaled internet pricing on steering helm and cables as well...

Made the same kind of mods to my 16 foot Lund last spring. I used the 5/8 plywood from a concrete forming job. Worked great.

Now I need to figure out how to put in the floor boards. Do any of you have a good technique for measuring, leveling and supporting the floor boards. Thanks Guys.