• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Northern MN Trout

The_Lee

I am going to be taking a couple of weeks this summer to go to Northern Minnesota and do some fishing when I get back from my current deployment, can anyone tell me of some good areas for northern Minnesota trout fishing?

I always had good luck---Best fishing on the pidgon river on the Mn.Can.border,lots a fun lots a brookies.

But where in N Mn.are you thinking,I'm going to try the straight river for the first time this year.Supposedly one of Mn.s best for large Browns.

Well, nothin is for certain, right now I want to find some good trout fishing in Northern MN, then see what lakes are around those locations. I figure if lake fishing is horrible, I can always hit up trout or vice versa.

Let me get in a plug for the Brainerd Lakes Area and trout fishing on Stony Brook. It's a great little trout stream that flows into Gull Lake at the north end. The stream stretch with big browns and brookies runs about a mile through a nice little park.

Trout season opens in mid-April so if the trout aren't biting you can hop on the lakes (assuming they've opened up by then) and do some great crappie and bluegill fishing. The trout fishing on Stony Brook is great all summer long but if it's not you have great walleye, pike, bass fishing.

Send me an e-mail if you want details.

Neither Cory nor Stony are floatable. They are wadable though.

For Stony...You can park your car in Fritz Loven Park on the south end of the stream (near the mouth) and walk up the stream as far as you want. Lots of fishable water and a very scenic area.

On Cory, it's very wooded and secluded. Still, a beautiful area.

PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE....make sure to release all the big ones you catch and especially the brookies. These creeks are getting more and more pressure. Instead of try and keep them a "secret" like some would do, I'd rather inform people and advise them too practice CPR. Keep a little brownie or two for a meal but leave the rest so there's something for others to catch and release.

The Arrowhead region is full of stocked lakes. Not so many good streams as the southeast part of the state but there are a few. Some of the lakes in the area are managed as trophy lakes but most of them are put and take. Check the dnr site for stocked trout lakes and you can learn a lot about size, fishing pressure, access and stocking history.

Hope you get home safely and soon.