• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

I went ice fishin'!!

Last Friday on the way up deer hunting I bought some bait and told the guy at the store in Park Rapids that I was gonna go ice fishin'. He looked at me like I was nuts. When I woke up Sat. it -15. Came back from hunting at 10, grabbed the chisel and started out onto the lake. It was really good ice about 1-2 inches thick everywhere. Put the tip ups out and caught some northerns. The same guys that I was with thought that I was a crazy SOB, but did they ever like that fresh fish. Wish i would have had more time out there, but I was concentrating on hunting. I just wanted to know if anyone else has been out? I was by Itasca State Park.

I got bit off today by a northern open water fishing at the coon rapids dam in the backwater on the coon rapids side. I tossed a 3/8 ounce pink and white jig with a chartreuse twister up to where the skim ice was. Immediately a northern grabbed it and when I set the hook the northern dropped it. Next cast let it take it, set the hook and ... bit off! Was still fun. I would think that would be a good spot for tip ups early ice.

mm

Mr, Mom, I like M lived in Coon Rapids for 5 years and the ice was always the back waters of the coon rapids dam. Many years this is were I would get out for first ice to test the shack and equipment. This is a great little spot that holds all species of fish. Early ice can produce nice crappie, walleye, pike, musky, and there are occassional runs of saugers. If you get out give a report. I am now in Maplewood and do not get to this part of town anymore.

Hey Guys!
I'd never been there before. It looks like the water is as low as it gets. I wish I had brought along my gps and marked where all the nice boulders are for next spring! I will report when I get back there.

mm