• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Went to the springs today

I went to the springs today to try out the new camera. Heres what I came out with. I really like moss coveres tree's and rivers. I havent played with the sizing or the contrasts yet. I just couldnt wait to get your opinion . I will have more to post but they need a little help first

geminispringsandgordon021.jpg

geminispringsandgordon072.jpg

DeeDee, nice work, and thanks for showing it to us.

I have to say I like the second image quite a lot. The distinct elements (palmettos, spanish moss and tree trunks) each offer balance to the image. The moss feels like the primary subject to me because it shows such a compelling waterfall pattern.

I enjoyed the first image, but not as much, because I found the tree in the middle foreground distracting. My eyes craved an uncluttered view of the far shore.

As you progress with post processing software, there are things that can be done to bring out more detail in the shadowy areas of the image as well. Always assuming you WANT that. Often, blocked shadow detail lends a sense of mystery to an image, so it can sometimes be a good thing.

These are simply my opinions as a viewer and are meant to be food for thought — and perspectives that may give you a different way of looking at things.

Again, very nice work! grin.gifgrin.gif

stfcatfish - you have no idea how much I value your opinion. I agree with you on the first picture, I didnt like the trees blocking the view, I almost jumped off the bridge to get around them but there are gators there and I didnt want to push my luck. But I was looking for one.

Finbay - thank you too for your opinion but I dont know what pp is blush.gif

DeeDee, because shooting data is so helpful in providing a technical critique (it's called exif data), I've pulled the exif data from your second shot and included it below.

You can download a free exif reader off the Web by just Googling "download free exif reader." Once downloaded and installed, you just open the program and under "file" click on "open" and then select the photo you want the data from.

Canon Digital Rebel XT, Canon 18-55mm at 53mm, iso400, 1/125 sec at f8

Thoase are very nice photos! Makes me happy looking forward to hot humid weather here in the summer! However, I'd increase the saturation on the grass, and leaves..contrast a bit more. It's how you want it to look. Great shots though.

Thanks mountaindew, I enjoy all of your opinions there is so much to take in. By the way thats my lifeline,(mt.dew) keeps me going since I work over night and chase kids all day.

Steve - just visited your HSOforum, I feel so lucky to get tips from you. I can tell there is a whole lot more to this then I thought. Dont really understand the exif and how you got it out of my picture, pretty cool. Here is one more I resized it to 50 percent before I saved it to photobucket but it is still big.

I'll practice a little more before my next post.

bridge.jpg

DeeDee, that one's very nice, too. Clean view, sharp image and attractive elements.

Thanks for the kudos.

There IS a lot to take in, but there's no hurry, and you'll learn as you go. In only a month or two you'll look back on your first work and see how far you've come.

Just keep it up and keep having fun!

Exif is data embedded in the digital photograph file. By knowing the camera and lens model, the focal length (mm) the lens was shot at, and other data like shutter speed, iso, aperture and such, we can determine of those setting might be changed to help you achieve different effects for you photographs.

You can easily download one of those exif programs and open it up and then open one of your photos and all that data is right there to look at.

If you don't yet understand the interlocking relationship between iso, shutter speed and aperture, don't worry about that at all. You will learn it as you go, and those discoveries are part of the joy of it all.

And don't feel embarrassed in any way at what you think is a lack of knowledge. We all started somewhere, and you are among friends here.

I like those. I've never seen moss quite like that. BTW, when you post photos. you should try and resize them to no more than 700 pixels, on the long side. It would save everyone from having to scroll back and forth, to see the whole image. Other than that, keep them coming.

Nice shots DeeDee, that last one is the one the works the best for me! Hope to see more of your work. I'll be in sunny Florida in just a few weeks, it will be nice to enjoy your sunshine for a week.