• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

GPS Mounting Where and how?

Northlander

Where do all you guys mount your GPS on your sleds and with what? Permanent mount or suction cup? On the dash or handle bars? What brand mount?

Im sick of trying to hang on to my GPS with 1 hand or keeping it in my pocket.

What type cord do you use to go to a battery. My sled is a pull start so I have to mount a battery under the hood some place. Where should I do it? 94 Polaris XLT Special.

Thanks guys.

northlander I use a ram mount and mounted it behind my windshield on the dash. I don't like the u-bolt mount kits, because they crimp on the grip heater wire. Also if you have your handle bars turned, the screen also turns.

rammountwg7.jpg

I have a 12v accessory plug. You mentioned that you'll need to bring a battery along. Hanson uses a vex battery stuffed into a handlebar bag. Alot of guys here have modified the 12v plug-in adapter and installed female end clips to attach to a vex battery. Some guys mount the spare in the hood, others in a bag like hanson. hope you got enough ideas to work off of...

My GPS is mounted on the handlebar with a RAM mount. No holes to drill and easily removeable if necessary. Also, I can position the GPS close or far from my eyes...they can be tricky to read in daylight.

There's a pic of my Lowrance H20 Ram mount in the pic I posted of my sled in another forum here

The only difference between Deadhead's mount and mine is that I have a handlebar ball mount that bolts onto the handle bar. You can buy either package at the store. I would not recommend a suction cup mount on a sled/atv.

Ya I think Im just going to screw a old 2" Ram ball on my sled and use my 2" GPS holder I made up. It sure wont go no place. grin.gif

Anyone have any pics of where they mounted 12 volt batteries under the hood or elsewhere? What type conecetors do you use from the GPS to the battery? I was thinking juust gator clips but Im guessing those will pop off on bouncy rides.

Since I have hardly any room under the hood of my machine for a 12V battery, I just placed the battery on top of the belt guard and fastened it with some mini bungy cords I had lying around. It worked for over 100 rough miles at LOW and never moved.

My friend's Polaris' had much more areas to mount a battery with some contraption, I believe on the belt guard someplace.

I fastened in a 12V cigarette plug on the dash to power the GPS, ran some wires into the engine compartment and used the proper battery terminal connectors to hook it up to the battery. Really cheap and easy...

I went cheap and used Velcro with the sticky back. I put that up on the dash. Did the same thing on the dash of my truck. My H20c hasn't fallen off yet.

For a battery you can mount a 7amp hr under the hood. Find a little plastic box or make one out of 1/4" plywood and fasten it down. Or just wrap it in foam and bungy it down.

Use ties and route the wire up to the dash. Use the spade plugs to connect to the battery and mount a cigarette lighter/accessory plug. You can find them in the boating section, they'll have the rubber caps to keep water out. Plug you power cord into that and your good to go.

Originally Posted By: Northlander
Where do all you guys mount your GPS on your sleds and with what? Permanent mount or suction cup? On the dash or handle bars? What brand mount?

Im sick of trying to hang on to my GPS with 1 hand or keeping it in my pocket.

What type cord do you use to go to a battery. My sled is a pull start so I have to mount a battery under the hood some place. Where should I do it? 94 Polaris XLT Special.

Thanks guys.

If your looking to mount it on that 94 XLT there should be a flat area up in front where they mount a battery for the electric start models. I would try to put it in the same place and run my own wires for the power. If I recall right(to lazy to go look for ya) sick.gif it would be on the left side