• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Electric Ice Augers

chasmcneil

I'm currently using a 8" stike master electric auger. How many holes can I expect on a full battery charge?? The reason for this post is that with the auger that I'm using I only get around 7 holes in 30" of ice. I've been told that I can expect around 15 to 20 holes in 24" of ice.

I have the same auger with the 7 inch bit. I can get about 15-20 holes in 24 inch of ice depending on how cold the auger is. If I leave it outside in the cold before using it is closer to 15. If you charge the battery before it is room temp it will not get a full charge and you will get much less usage. I warm up fully before chaging and try to keep it warm before use to get the most out of it. It is much more important to have the battery at room temp before charging than to have it warm when using. A quick connect to remove the bit would help so you can keep the power head in the truck on the way to the lake to keep it warm.

I have the 8" and last Sat I drilled 14 holes through 42" of ice on LOW. I connect the charger to the auger head in my basement at home and then set it by the backdoor next to boots for the morning. Then I set the head in the backseat of truck and connect car charger to it. I have a Clam 1060 and always drill 6 holes. I drill all six to just less then break through and then break through all six. I can get about 7 holes on one charge at 42". Then I disconnect the auger head (Kwik Koupler) and put it back in truck on charger. No fish in an hour or so then move and drill more. I also made a 25' cable to use if I need to connect to truck as the 12' is way too short to drill any holes unless you want them right next to the truck.

I brought the auger to stikemaster today to have them look at it. They asked me if I clear the ice shavings in the hole after half of it is drilled, a said no. He said it should help if you do that. To get your 14 holes, did you do it that way??

First of all let me state I love my strikemaster electric and will not ever go back to a gas auger, however I only got 4 holes drilled last weekend and I was out of juice. I bought a reman model and think I got a bad battery. Hey guys, when fully charged - my gauge will never go to full, does the gauge on yours go up in the green?

Yea, mine will catch on the bottom. That is why I drill all six holes just about all the way and save the "break through" for last on all the holes. Mine charges up to green as well. I do lift the auger up and down to clear the chips makes it much easier. I also noticed that you do not need to apply any pressure at all to drill let the auger do the work. If you lift slightly at the bottom of the hole it will breakthrough much nicer. I always remove the power head and place the charger on it back inside the cab of my truck to get ready for the next use. Look up kwik koupler by outdoor creations. It really makes disonnecting your bit much easier than messing around with the allen bolt.