• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Bowfishing Setup

Duncan7709

I have been bowfishing for a couple of years now and I am looking to upgrade. I have the reel where you reel it up by hand and that is getting old. $60 seems like a lot of money to spend on a AMS reel when I dont get out all that often. I was thinking of getting a Zebco 808. Or can you use any kind of fishing reel for bowfishing? Like a spinning Reel or like a Zebco 33. Any pictures of setups would be nice too. Thanks

The hand-wound spools are inexpensive but cheap for a reason. Quite frankly, they suck. Do the upgrade, you'll be happy you did. The AMS retriever is awesome but a little spendy. I think you'd be happy with an 808 or even a Shakespeare model for quite a bit less than the Zebco.

you cant go wrong with a retreiver reel, they can last a long time. The guys that use spinners use zebco 808, Shakespeare or the Muzzy reel. there were some talk that Wally World had Shakespeare reels on sale for $11. What ever spinner you use you want it to be as big as possible to fit more line in there. I would recommend 100-150 lbs Power Pro line.

The retriever reel is well worth the 60 or so bucks, i've had mine for the past 2 years and used it often and it still works like new. One of the guys i go with has the same reel and has been using in for 5 years i think and it works just fine still. The cheap ones you buy are just awful, i bought a 20 dollar one just to get started and used it twice and it broke. Spend the extra money you won't be dissapionted.

i really would go with the retriver reel, they work awesome. and the hand woven ones take way to long say you miss a fish or hit one and you want to get it in because there other fish around it takes too long happend to me i missed a small one and then the momma came around and i couldnt get my line in fast engough now its shoot and reel much faster! you really wont be dissapointed!