• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Who owns a Sports Pal Canoe? Looking for some insight...

Okay I want to pick up a Sportspal Canoe square stern style this Spring. I've looked at a few and although it super light weight the Canoe looks kinda cheaply put together.

So what I am asking before I buy is who here owns one that they can give insight on? I want to know how long you had it and how durable they are? And is spending $900+ really worth it or should I just go with something else?

I have the Meyers Sports Pal. 12 foot double V. I got it with the removable seats. I think the quality is very good, and it is pretty much untippable. I have hit it on some rocks without problems, but it is mostly for duck hunting. The one problem I have with it is the aluminum ribs on the inside that hold the foam lining in place are shiny. I knew this was the case before I bought it, so I'm not that unhappy, but a boat that is advertised as a duck boat should not have shiny surfaces. A can of spray paint takes care of it, but it eventually gets shiny again. I have had it since 2001 (?), but haven't used it in the last couple of years.

i have owned a sportspal since 1981,i have a 12 footer, it went thru a strainer once,down many rivers, i have fished with it on chesapeake bay and the gulf of maine. i used to like to fill it up on hot days and play submarine.the boat is 25 years old and i will pass it on to my grandson.not cheap but a good quality boat. cost me 500 in 1981, so not cheap then either. i don't care for the radison look alike. hope this helps

I have a Meyers Sports Pal. The Sports Pal name is originally a Meyers TM but they sold the rights years ago to a Canadian firm and then started making them again. The difference is in the Aluminum thickness and the Meyers is 2 pcs. as opposed to one. I've had mine for a bunch of years and it's a 14ft., flat bottom, square transom, foam filled. It's seen lots of use, some of pretty rough. Still like new, save for a few scratches. I've run it with a 50# thrust electric trolling motor and a small gas motor. Loaded it to the gills and still a dream. I have car topped it and put it in my truck bed. Hit rock while in heavy current, stood and fished and shot from it and about anything else you can think of doing. Only down side is as the foam ages, it will hold some water, so if in a big rain storm or if the gunnels touch, it picks up some weight. You could remove the gunnel foam or even replace it. I plan to replace mine. Just a big washer and a rivet holding it. With it, you can NOT tip it over!! Weighs 69# dry at 14 ft. Well worth the money as far as I'm concerned. Meyers is a great company too. Hope it helps. Feel free to email me if you've got any more questions