• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Need some advice

First off you just spent a boatload on a high quality lens, IMHO I would stick with the Nikon converter. I would also consider using the 1.4x TC which should be fine on the 70-200mm VR and the 1.7x TC which I would use sparingly, only under the best lighting conditions and preferably with a tripod. The 2x TC really is useful only on a very few fast lenses, you will see softer images with this combination on most any lens except as I mentioned the fast primes. Auto focus accuracy will also be affected as you step up in TC's. The 2X will be less accurate than the 1.4X.

Kenko, Tamron are the two most common other brands. I have used the off brands with success on Canon and Pentax. I would assume you will most likely get decent results with Nikon as well. Any TC's will give the best results on fast primes.

Thanks for the replys. While it is not the answer I wanted to hear, I am glad that I asked.

I bought this lense mostly for taking pictures at swim meets. I have been extremely happy with it. Yesterday I was fishing below the dam* at Red Wing and couldn't help but notice all the eagles there. They were picking up fish in the water, perching in the trees, chasing each other. It was neat to see.

I have been looking at all the great wildlife picture that have been posted here and thought it would be fun to do. 200mm is just not enough. I would imagine with the 1.4 TC the 280mm would not be enough either. I thought if I could get to 400 that might work. I really didn't want to buy another lense and probably won't this year.

I am a newby at photography and I appreciate the information that I receive from all of you.

Thanks!!

Man TH I hear you. If someone could make a 15-500/2.8 zoom that was high quality, focused fast...well at the price they would be charging you would still have folks standing in line to buy one.

Its like fishing rods and guns they each have their purpose and you would not use a crappie rod on a muskie, or a 410 on geese...just won't get the job done.

Good luck with shooting the swimming you picked a good lens for it!

th, if you pick up the 1.4 TC, the image quality will be virtually indistinguishable from the native lens, and at about 300mm you'll have a 50 percent increase in focal length. It won't be enough for quite a few situations, but I think you'll be surprised how often in nature photography 300mm is "enough."

I have the 300mm F/2.8 and it is about the only Nikkor prime lens that I would use that 2X on. I actually have the 1.4x and 2X and wish I had the 1.7X instead. The 1.4X has no image degradation and doesn't really slow the focus... the doubler however does soften the image and definitely will make the lens hunt. Like Steve said, you'll be surprised at how often a 300mm is enough... especially if your crafty and can figure out ways to get in close and have patience.

Originally Posted By: Dbl

............... or a 410 on geese...just won't get the job done.

Man I can't believe you just said that.. When I was 12 I shot my first giant canadien with a 410. As well as my first buck taken with a firearm. It may not have been the most productive use of such a small caliber but it got the job done.

\:\)

I was wondering when someone was going to chime in. I shot my first duck, and goose with a single shot 410 with a bent barrel. When is the last time you shot a goose with a 410? Not saying you can't do it, just it is not the first thing you reach for grin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif