• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

UP Steelhead

Depending on where you are planning to go, I know some places in the western UP, but unfamiliar with the eastern UP. I would recomend any of the bigger feeder rivers into Superior and there is quite a few good ones between Ontonagon and Houghton. Also, the mouth of any feeder out into Portage lake in Houghton/Hancock. When are you planning on heading up there. I know last year right around mid to late May the steelies were just ending their running. Let me know how you do if you go.

Sault Ste Marie has a good run, there is actually a camera that LSSU puts in under water that shows the fish moving up the river. The steelhead can usually be seen in May (but it depends on the water temp of course).

Fish Cam

That is the link to the camera, although it seems to be on hold at this point.

In the Western UP, I have only fished in Gogebic county (Black River Harbor, Little Girls Point) once the water reached the right temp. a lot of people do well trolling out side the breakwater, at Black River Harbor, but you can catch them in the rivers as well.

The usual baits work (spawn bags, yarn, etc.) and you'll pick up some cohos, browns and the occasional PIG walleye as well. Good luck, I'll probably see you out there.

If you'll be fly fishing, definetly go to Black River Harbor and fish the river up to the falls. Another option is just outside of Wakefield off of 28 called the Presque Isle Rd. which will lead you to lake superior as well. This area is hit or miss depending on water levels, but the fish do stack up in the river just up stream from the mouth as the water warms.

Just wondering if anyone was heading up anytime soon? I will be up in the Houghton area this weekend, hoping to do some steelie fishing. Should be running now, but I don't really know what the weather has been like up there, in regards to temps and rain/snow fall. Hopefully I will come back with some pics. I will report how it went next week.

gheenz--good luck on trying to get out to some of the local Hoton secrets. Way too much snow unless you plan on sledding into the rivers. Probably the best bet is to go hit the Ontonagon or Black. There is no way you'll get to the Huron. You could probably also fish the mouths of the Slate, Ravine, and Falls over in L'Anse. The rivers west of Houghton down to Ontonagon won't be accessible.

I've heard reports of browns and cohos coming out of the Black River Harbor (up to Rainbow falls), but no Steelies yet. I'm heading over this weekend to shoot a turkey, but will probably fish Tuesday morning before I head back to Duluth.